• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Anybody interested in a P-47 Build?

Thanks! Have had a couple days of actual cool weather so in-between golfing for the first time in 2 years and seeing Van Halen at the Hollywood Bowl I got some work done. Going to be a 100 probably this weekend so imagine won't get much done then will see.

FYI I'm a little ahead of the photos I'm posting just trying to post a little here and there until I get caught up.

Got the rudder skin glued on. Flipped it over and added some extra wood for the pin hinges. Then glued the skins on for that side.

Robert

p-47build48.jpg
p-47build49.jpg
p-47build50.jpg
p-47build51.jpg

Tacked the leading edge on the fin with CA.

p-47build52.jpg

Used the plane to get it close to the sheeting.

p-47build53.jpg

p-47build54.jpg

Glued the rudder to the leading edge.
p-47build55.jpg

Participated in the "What beer ya drinking tonight?" thread so glued the rudder about a 1/16 to low. So grabbed some scrap sheeting, glued, cut around it and sanded. Almost like it never happened!
p-47build56.jpg

Glued some balsa blocks to the tops.
p-47build57.jpg

Planed and shaped them. Did the same on the bottom.
p-47build58.jpg
p-47build59.jpg

Starting to look like something!

Robert

Ok now for something that's not in the instructions. Made a sanding block:

p-47build60.jpg

With a little lip.

p-47build61.jpg

Used on the trailing edge of the stab.

p-47build62.jpg

Did both sides.

p-47build63.jpg

Before I do anything else needed to drill the holes for the Robart hinges. Never used them before so bought the guide...

p-47build64.jpg

And proceeded to drill the first hole crooked...Put my glasses on and the rest went smooth. Easy fix.

p-47build65.jpg

Now I needed to match up the holes with the elevators. Knowing this will most likely present some issues I put my thinking cap on and found some center punches at McMaster Carr. They were 3/16 holes and they had some 3/16 center punches. Worked great! Then I used the Robart guide to drill the holes. Doubt I am the only one to think of this but never seen it before.

Robert

p-47build68.jpg
p-47build69.jpg
p-47build70.jpg