• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

Joe Hunt

150cc
Some updates:

I have 8 gallons of mostly redline @ 40-1 through the 3W 170 CS engine. It's slowly breaking in (I picked up some lawnboy which I could still run). The more power the motor makes the more fun I have flying the plane. I ran a Mejzlik 30-13 EVO FL on the plane and it really made the plane fast with unlimited vertical. But, I just don't get these pylon racing props, yet. haha The downlines are way too fast and I just don't like them. I put on an old trusty Mejzlik 32-10 and, as always, the precision flying was fantastic. They don't have the upline pullout of a 30-13 prop, but they have downline breaking and they fly the plane through maneuvers much smoother and more controllable, to me. So far since I've been back at it this year I've like the Falcon 31-12 the best overall.

The Hitec 9380s continue to impress the hell out of me. I have the single elevator servos on 2" arms in the 1-3/4" hole. I have over 50 degrees of throw on the elevators. I'm hammering maneuvers with full 3D elevator deflection and the servos are having no problem dealing with it.

I didn't trust the Tech-Aero IBEC unit for awhile, but I have no reason to doubt it at this point. Very convenient device, for me.

I was surprised the plane did not sell for big money immediately, but maybe I'm the only one that thinks it's cool. haha Here are two shots I took with my android tonight after sunset, and a video Smok'n Joe took with his iphone just before sunset. I like the video because you can hear how good the engine is running. It's very powerful, transitions great, and is smooth:
20151021_182428.jpg 20151021_182554.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
Sold this airframe today to make room for more airframes. :) I had been talking to a giantscalenews.com member about crating and shipping it to him. Then a local flyer wanted it and showed up with cash. I was in a pickle. I called the GSN member and he let me off the hook. Good guy, I would have liked him to have the plane, too. Anyway, I hope we're still good buddies and I just wanted to say he's a class act. :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
Aw shucks.....you only saved me a drive from the east coast! ;) I'm sure the buyer will be happy. Hope he/she takes care of it!!!

He's a fun guy, says he's never had a plane bigger than 100cc class. Says he saw the plane and said to himself, "go big, or go home!" haha

Joe Hunt

150cc
Joe, I appreciate the phone call. It was a no brainer.

Thanks!... but not everyone is as easy going as you, I had a guy in Dubai super p'st because I wouldn't sell him my blue Votec for 12k. :O haha I sold it local and got to fly it for the next couple years. :) Eventually it was sold again to a guy in Texas, I think. I miss that engine, though, me and Nolasco idled that thing down to like 400 rpms and it was still running. We put a water bottle on the cowl while it was idling normally and it didn't move. And, it was a beast, too. You know what I've been thinking about lately? I wonder what Gabby could do with a Votec? They were agile, maybe too slippery for most, but Gabby and the new breed of XFC guys might love 'em! The Votecs might have just been ahead of their time! :)