• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I like to scratch build, or rather copy plans and cut my own. Building/assembly is definitely a different hobby. Send that big Yak my way. I know how to run a 3W.

Joe Hunt

150cc
I like to scratch build, or rather copy plans and cut my own. Building/assembly is definitely a different hobby. Send that big Yak my way. I know how to run a 3W.

I hear ya'! And, I'll take any reasonable offer! On the 3W, I've never had anything but great ones. This one had a gap/hole to the outside world in the gasket because of... well... look at this thread:

http://www.joehuntrc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33

All good now, though. :)

It's always been only the 3W 170 CS on there. If it was a DA-170 with 4 gallons of synth it would already be broken in. haha This thing is just starting to barely break in the tiniest amount. The power will come way up, and it's got some power now. :) Also, putting a DA-170 on there would require me taking two days to make an engine spacer. :O haha

Cool, you were talking about lightening it up so I didn't know if you had made the switch or not.

I hear ya'! And, I'll take any reasonable offer! On the 3W, I've never had anything but great ones. This one had a gap/hole to the outside world in the gasket because of... well... look at this thread:

http://www.joehuntrc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33

All good now, though. :)

Just checked out your thread. So the fix was to put a Tilitson carb on, interesting...

When I had my 3W 56, it came with a Walbro and I've always read the Tilitson's are a little harder to tune but once you get them tuned, they're the best.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Details to follow... but I gotta say... if the XFC boys watched me doing full throttle highspeed rolls this evening they'd all run out and buy Aeroworks 40% Yak55Ms! The plane does them so axial and so easy and just has that "thug life" look. haha :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
Just checked out your thread. So the fix was to put a Tilitson carb on, interesting...

That is definitely a good fix as the aluminum spacer between the reed block and the carb was designed and machined for the Tilitson. The impulse hole in the carb lines up with the impulse hole in the aluminum spacer. There is plenty of mating between the aluminum spacer and the carb even with the large holes drilled in the universal teflon insulator and the slotted holes in the universal stock gaskets (I call them universal because they are not cut and drilled for this one single application). However...

However... I was able to run the walbro without leaks. I had to cut my own gaskets. Although it is possible to get a teflon spacer that has not been ground out too much, use the stock universal slotted gaskets, and just barely get it to work. So, if you receive a Walbro or want a Walbro you can get it to run without leaking from the impulse hole.

Having said all that, I'm stoked to have a Tilitson on this 3W-170CS. One if doesn't leak at the impulse hole. haha And, two it's all I ever ran on my 3Ws and I'm used to them. The idle is better now, the high end is better, and the mid range is better.

Joe Hunt

150cc
So, yeah, I swapped the walbro for a tilitson on the engine today. I had to solder on another included 3W throttle arm. As always I set it up for linear travel so I did not solder it inline with the manufacturer's throttle arm.

20151006_131747web.jpg 20151006_131747web2.jpg