• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Beautifying the Beast

99 BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL

And then there were 98:-----

Up here in Canada we like to drink from Quart Size Bottles!

RUDDER LOGO.JPG

Last edited:
LOWER WING ATTACHMENT

Putting the lower wing on using the Hanger 9 method is a BIG PAIN in the A!!. Their method also calls for the bottom of the airplane to be left open so that your hands can attach the wing bolts thru the lower side of the fuselage and into the lower wing. Leaving the bottom open also allows for exhaust oils to get inside the plane, something that I'm not too keen on.

So I went with a simpler approach that has been done on many planes that I have owned. I am just using a simple bolt thru the wing into the wing tube.

But first I put in place a "Crush Washer" that would spread the load from the screw head over a wide area. I then inserted a 1 inch long wooden plug just inside the end of the wing tube. Once I had it installed I assembled the wing (temporarily using the supplied wing bolts) and drilled thru the center of the Crush Washer and into the plugged wing tube. I then tapped the hole with a 8-32 tap, soaked it in thin Cyano and then re-tapped the hole. Many planes use just a 4-40 long bolt, but I opted for a more substantial bolt that has more bite into the wood as it is screwed in.

So now instead of 4 bolts to hold the two lower wings on, I only need 2. And these two are MUCH easier to assemble.

I have now eliminated 4 screws to assemble the canopy and 2 for the lower wing. To date 6 screws have been eliminated making the field assembly just that much easier.

BEFORE MODIFICATION.JPG CRUSH WASHER.JPG WASHER IN PLACE.JPG WING & TUBE HOLES.JPG TAPPED HOLE.JPG HOLDING SCREW.JPG

reyn3545

100cc
Hangar 9 used a similar method to what you describe to hold the top wing on thier 46% Ultimate... only it was just a sheet metal screw into the metal wing tube. It rattled like a SOB, and eventually would wobble the screw loose. Lots of folks did exactly what you did, insert a wooden dowel into the wing tube.. and never saw another problem. That was a great flying plane, but I hated the wing attachment. But it was a walk in the park compared to the flying wires and bolts used to hold the CompARF Pitts wings on. I guess I just always need something to complain about!
'

Woke up to this!

Two years ago we got 17 feet of total snowfall due to the Lake Effect that we get here.

Hope we are not into that this year!

1st SNOW.JPG DSCN3370.JPG