• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Been working on my harriers... Question.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
It rocks cause the wing are stalled so you need to make the plane be in a more steep position and that will make you add more ele more throttle.

The play with the rudder to control the rocking is mandatory you can't control it with the ail.

Make sure your set up is good, lateral balance, even throws on the elevators. I sometimes find holding just a little rudder helps it lock in. Sometimes you just have to fiddle with the sticks till you find the sweet spot.

ryan_m;10259 wrote: Watch the use of the rudder too. Overuse of the rudder will cause a wing to dip, and then you correct and can start some rocking. So ease up on rudder, especially in the turns. Maybe bump up your rudder expo about 10-15%, unless you are already over 60%, if that's the case just concentrate on being smooth with it.

That was and sometimes still is my problem. SOmebody else gave me the same advice about rudder. Try more expo or smaller rudder corrections...at least it helped me, on a good plane. Some planes just have wing rock. These are the planes where the sponsored pilot is doing inverted harriers, rolling harriers, but no upright harriers in the demo video announcing the release of the plane, or the planes that need a gyro.

Here's another factor that people don't think about; your throttle usage.

If you work your throttle (often referred to as "blipping" the throttle) while in a harrier, it's gonna be jerky as a result of the sudden torque. You know how you're coasting in your car at about 15-20 mph, tap the gas, then suddenly it jerks forward? Same concept. Find the "magic" throttle point that keeps it both in a stall and airborne. Mine is usually somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. The steadier your throttle, the less your airplane will jerk around.

I like to call this technique "cruise control".

Awesome advice everyone, thanks.. I"ll play with it to see if I can find it, but now I have a better idea of what to look for and mostly just burn gas.

Justin, thanks for the example, looked great!!

averagebrunette;11706 wrote: Awesome advice everyone, thanks.. I"ll play with it to see if I can find it, but now I have a better idea of what to look for and mostly just burn gas.

Justin, thanks for the example, looked great!!

:encouragement:

Yak Attack;11694 wrote: Here's another factor that people don't think about; your throttle usage.

If you work your throttle (often referred to as "blipping" the throttle) while in a harrier, it's gonna be jerky as a result of the sudden torque. You know how you're coasting in your car at about 15-20 mph, tap the gas, then suddenly it jerks forward? Same concept. Find the "magic" throttle point that keeps it both in a stall and airborne. Mine is usually somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. The steadier your throttle, the less your airplane will jerk around.

I like to call this technique "cruise control".

I agree with all that! The throttle jerking is something I don't like hearing. Sounds like you have no control over the throttle, almost like you are trying to keep it in a hover or whatever manuever you are trying.

Bunky F. Knuckle;11811 wrote: I agree with all that! The throttle jerking is something I don't like hearing. Sounds like you have no control over the throttle, almost like you are trying to keep it in a hover or whatever manuever you are trying.
Bunky knows how it's done.