• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Been working on my harriers... Question.

Hmmm, sounds almost like he knows what he's talking about. Like a mutual friend of ours says, "Don't let the clothes fool ya." HeHe

shotgun;11826 wrote: Hmmm, sounds almost like he knows what he's talking about. Like a mutual friend of ours says, "Don't let the clothes fool ya." HeHe

I get lucky every now and then. :biggrin-new:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Very good advice. I am going to give it a whirl. I am finding that being a "thumber", I am just not real smooth with "blipping" as most people call it. A more even throttle setting seems more like the logical alternative. How can a thumber get more precise? I mean, QQ does it right? My son is a "pincher" and he seems to be getting it all down pretty well. Is it better to be a pincher? Is there a way an old dude like me can learn it easier? Practice real high?

3D-Joy

50cc
Being a thumber myself I solved the ''precision'' issue by adding more expo on all controls.

Also something people often overlook is your stick tension on the radio. For some really odd reason, all Spektrum radios I get my hands on have a really soft setting on throttle friction and rather hard setting on rudder tension. This means a typical flyer will ALWAYS accidentally move the throttle a bit for every rudder input they do.

Also even though its more something about preference, softer stick settings seem to work better for pinchers and stiffer stick settings work more for thumbers due to added feel of where exactly is center position.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
3D Joy;17082 wrote: Being a thumber myself I solved the ''precision'' issue by adding more expo on all controls.

Also something people often overlook is your stick tension on the radio. For some really odd reason, all Spektrum radios I get my hands on have a really soft setting on throttle friction and rather hard setting on rudder tension. This means a typical flyer will ALWAYS accidentally move the throttle a bit for every rudder input they do.

Also even though its more something about preference, softer stick settings seem to work better for pinchers and stiffer stick settings work more for thumbers due to added feel of where exactly is center position.

Good observations. I do have a ton of expo on many of my "rides". And it has in fact helped tremendously. The stick tension on the other hand, I have really not breached that. Guess I have gotten use to the "feel". My son has mentioned the same thing. He likes his tension quite stiff... even though he is a pincher. I may just give the tension trick a try. Thumbs up....appreciate it.

3D Joy;17082 wrote: Being a thumber myself I solved the ''precision'' issue by adding more expo on all controls.

I disagree on the last statement. With all respect, of course. My JR 9503's stick tension is stiffer than most. It's a lot like the old Futaba 9CAP radios. I pinch on the left and thumb on the right. If I'm flying sport, I'll pinch on both sides. Don't know why or how I started doing it, but it just kinda stuck. I hate soft stick tensions. The airplanes seem touchy to me. Granted, it's easily remedied with more expo, but I learned to fly on stiffer stick tensions. Just what feels right to me.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yak Attack;17094 wrote: I disagree on the last statement. With all respect, of course. My JR 9503's stick tension is stiffer than most. It's a lot like the old Futaba 9CAP radios. I pinch on the left and thumb on the right. If I'm flying sport, I'll pinch on both sides. Don't know why or how I started doing it, but it just kinda stuck. I hate soft stick tensions. The airplanes seem touchy to me. Granted, it's easily remedied with more expo, but I learned to fly on stiffer stick tensions. Just what feels right to me.

That thought had occurred to me as well. One of the last times I was out flying, I had wondered if that was possible. I suppose what ever works for each person may be different for the next guy. Hovering and harriers are getting much easier, but dang I have a heck of a time with other multi-stick maneuvers.