• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D BH Design 50% Edge 540

thurmma

150cc
Nice work Rob! The fuselage looks very similar to a 30% Edge that I had covered and flown a couple of years ago :)
img_9469.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Nice work Rob! The fuselage looks very similar to a 30% Edge that I had covered and flown a couple of years ago :)
View attachment 12441

Oh wow..... 'magine that. That is kind of freaky cool huh? I bet you were just warming up the colors so that when I chose to use them the same way, they would already be broken in and acceptable. I gotta appreciate that ya know? LOL

Are you doing any wood prep, besides sanding? If not, some cheap hairspray and then hit it again with 220 grit. I really don't see any advantage by going finer grit for a finish sand. Then vacuum your parts and then tack rag it. Then lay your covering down and tack it down. I like around 300F for heat. Then go to town covering. :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Are you doing any wood prep, besides sanding? If not, some cheap hairspray and then hit it again with 220 grit. I really don't see any advantage by going finer grit for a finish sand. Then vacuum your parts and then tack rag it. Then lay your covering down and tack it down. I like around 300F for heat. Then go to town covering. :)
I didn't have to do too much prepping. The old Ultracote came off like hot butter. Nothing to worry about. Had just a tiny bit of adhesive residue from the original covering, but I didn't want to disturb that too much. Extra adhesive for the new coat of covering. Simply wiped down with a clean dampened cloth with alcohol and let it air dry a few minutes before laying the new covering. When doing a new build, I have used the tack clothes religiously. As I may have stated, I really do not like Monokote much at all. Ultracote is so much nicer to work with. I used 300F on the new covering. I will say this about Monokote though. It will take a "LOT" of heat while shrinking down. But it comes out looking extremely nice.

Cool man.

Give yourself more time with MonoKote. It takes a little more "working" time with it, but the techniques between MonoKote and UltraCote covering are all the same. When you get done with this, you'll be like, damn, I like this! :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Cool man.

Give yourself more time with MonoKote. It takes a little more "working" time with it, but the techniques between MonoKote and UltraCote covering are all the same. When you get done with this, you'll be like, damn, I like this! :)
Thanks Chris. I will leave the Mono to my son. I will stay with Ultra. But, I do have to admit...the Edge is really coming out nice. Can't wait to get the wing graphics from @Decal Dennis and get her in the air. Should be a ton of fun.