Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale ARF Build Threads' started by HRRC Flyer, Feb 26, 2019.

1. AKNick

AKNick 150cc

Alaska
    After grinding the spinner to accommodate the propeller, I carefully put my backplate, and pre-drilled (by me) prop on the engine for alignment and then used a drill bit to transfer the hole locations to the back plate. Then used a pilot hole, followed by the actual bit size - I double checked my alignment with the drill guide. After drilling one or two holes, you can add your drill guide to the prop/backplate stack and finish the last few holes up if you want. It's tricky for sure, I'm sure someone else has a better method... but that's what I did.

HRRC Flyer likes this.
  2. HRRC Flyer

HRRC Flyer GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Hey @AKNick,

I like that idea. I'm just not sure how much of a mark my drill bit is going to leave on a steel backplate.

3. AKNick

AKNick 150cc

Alaska
    Steel??? Mine are aluminum. They say gray Anodized. That's an Aluminum chemical process :rolleyes:

4. HRRC Flyer

OK, I don't know what made me type steel. I must be brain dead tonight. . . . . :laughing:. Thanks for setting me straight @AKNick .

dhal22 and AKNick like this.
  5. AKNick

AKNick 150cc

Alaska
    LOL, I was drinking a pretty darn good cup of coffee, all my brain waves are synced when that happens :confused: So you've got this! Don't worry when you said steel I thought you were right until I visualized drilling the last two... and I may have looked it up.. Now that we are both on track :applause:

HRRC Flyer likes this.
  6. HRRC Flyer

Well,

I got one last box with some items for my Yak.
    Yak 62.jpg

I thought about showing you guys what's inside the box, but then I said to myself, "what's the fun in that?". . . . . :laughing:. I promise I won't leave you guys hanging too long. . . . . :rolleyes:. Work resumes on my Yak Friday at noon after I get off work. Hopefully with a good couple of days of work, I will have some good progress to show you this weekend. . . . . . :big_yes:.

Snoopy1 and Jetpainter like this.
  7. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    A hint would of been nice or weight and or size.

8. HRRC Flyer

No @Snoopy1, you guys are too smart for hints like that. . . . :big_yes:. OK, I have a hint for you Fellas. The contents of the box are multi-colored and gray all over. Now, no more hints. . . . :laughing:.

9. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Radio or engine

HRRC Flyer likes this.
  10. HRRC Flyer

OK @Snoopy1,

I'll spill the beans. . . . LOL.

I worked on my Yak today for about four hours this afternoon, but I didn't work on anything to get the plane ready to fly. . . . :eek:. No, I spent the afternoon putting some of the graphics I got last week on parts of the plane. This the "multi-colored" part of the clue I gave you.

"Before".
    20190823_134833_1566589297591_resized.jpg

"After" Yak 64.jpg

"Before"
    20190823_145902_1566589286936_resized.jpg

"After"
    20190823_151916_1566589289590_resized.jpg

I will post some more pics in my next post.