• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bowman rings....Gone!

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
As a general rule, most engines will require .004" per inch of bore diameter for intended ring end gap minimum. More extreme engine applications, where the piston and ring will experience excessive heat, it is recommended to use .005" per inch of bore diameter ring end gap minimum. Generally, when measuring ring end gap, it is most always better to have too much than too little; a tight ring end gap can potentially cause the ring ends to touch during operation, which may cause a failure.

on my dle 120 i matched the ring to the cylinder. This should be done for each multi cylinder engine.

i nearly filed .oo2" off one and left the other alone to get what i like. The engine is a stump puller.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Just to tease, search for a really good read:

The Mechanical News: An Illustrated Journal of Manufacturing ..., Volume 17

Go to page 247

you should be able to answer your question.

I cant tell wether you're being sarcastic with your question or not...

And by the way, i can measure less than a thousandth :)

Last edited:

poprlite

50cc
needle files work fine. Depending on the end conditions of the ring, might be round or flat style - or both.

Oh geez I'm in trouble. Did not expect to get a multiple choice answer. Their needs to be a place engine's can be sent to have modifications done to them.

Oh geez I'm in trouble. Did not expect to get a multiple choice answer. Their needs to be a place engine's can be sent to have modifications done to them.
I know this is a smart-ass answer, I'm sorry but I cannot help myself...

You could just buy a DA.

I do have to say though, I do have a DLE 35 and didn't modify a thing on it and it's been a great motor.

BJ Swope

Last edited: