• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bowman rings....Gone!

poprlite

50cc
I know this is a smart-ass answer, I'm sorry but I cannot help myself...

You could just buy a DA.

Info have to say though, I do have a DLE 35 and didn't modify a thing on it and it's been a great motor.

BJ Swope

You're right but I didn't. I have many brands of engines including a DA-150 and they all run very good. I am a hobbyist that wanted a quad and I do not have a budget for an engine in that price range.

I had 35's in a 310 and they ran flawless for two seasons that bowman ring's in them on the maiden. I believe when you have something you feel good about ya stick with it.

Just to tease, search for a really good read:

The Mechanical News: An Illustrated Journal of Manufacturing ..., Volume 17

Go to page 247

you should be able to answer your question.

I cant tell wether you're being sarcastic with your question or not...

And by the way, i can measure less than a thousandth :)

Slip the ring in the cylinder, sans piston, and use a feeler gage (you can use the base of the piston to push it in to ensure it is square). Just make sure you use the point in the cylinder that is the smallest!

I found some youtube video's on filing rings and it looks like I could mess that process up more than I would be helping it. I believe I'll let it be and not mess with it.
Thank you for the suggestions though.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm going to play the slightly trollish card on my point of view on this. I'm an engine guy, and I know a lot of guy's that "understand engines" and what I see is that almost everyone that puts bowman rings in for the quicker break-in honestly has no idea what happens when the engine is broken in or when it happens. The rings do up the compression which is nice an makes the engine smoother, but the over-all power difference between installing rings and not installing rings is basically too small for most to tell.

I just find it humorous that everyone (especially on the other site) is freaking out like the world is ending because rings are not available for the DLE's which are basically disposable engines anyway. I've had over a dozen DLE55's a handful of 20's, three 30's, a 60 twin, a 61, four 111's, two 120's and a 170. Some I put rings in, some I did not. The only one that I honestly could "feel" the difference other than boosted compression was the 170 that actually gained a fair amount of RPM after several gallons.

Sorry, just taking a break and had to add my $.03 on the lack of rings. Like BJ said, may as well buy a DA an you know it's good forever basically. ZDZ is a super choice for giant scale planes, no options for the small stuff which is OK as DLE has that market covered.

Alky6

150cc
FWIW. A guy I boat raced against once told me.... Talking about rings he said "the ring end gap is like a keyhole, have you ever taken a five gallon bucket of water and through it at a keyhole? How much water do you think actually gets through, not much." LOL. I would still check the end gap on a new ring install to ensure it has proper clearance, but with most of today's technology, and for what we do with these engines (we're not looking for that every little bit you can find), the stock rings should be fine.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
I absolutely agree with Terry's comments except for the disposable part. Imho they all are. But i grant the overall point youre making dude.

Also, if anyone is asking what file is good to trim rings, a jewelers file is the ticket. They sound expensive but really arent. search amazon for a selection. I put my file in my hobby vice and carefully drag the ring end keeping a right angle while making the file do the trimming. No need to push the ring into it. If you got an old pos weedwacker practice on those to get a feel for how much per stroke the file takes off. Oh and the ring should be placed carefully in the cylinder and leveled with the piston to take the measurement. [Do not file it in there ;)] Lots of good youtube vids out there. Also lots of bad :( you will know the bad ones when you see them if ya go looking.

one important thing on the ring issue... a ring gap that is too large leads to reduced performance. A ring gap that is too small leads to reduced engine life. Doesnt matter what fuel you use, oil, prop, cooling etc. A ring that is too tight will destroy things quick. I often see other things are blamed for tight ring damage. one thing is sure: if its tight and youre lucky it will only sieze. Lol. Otherwise you get lots of stuff rattling around in there. Hah

I have never bought bowman rings. Cant say i fly enough to invest in them either. However, the guy knows his craft that is for sure!

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Slip the ring in the cylinder, sans piston, and use a feeler gage (you can use the base of the piston to push it in to ensure it is square). Just make sure you use the point in the cylinder that is the smallest!
Just make sure its a new cylinder if going for the smallest :)

For a used cylinder and new ring you want to measure where the ring is actually traveling. Never at the very top. If you feel the ring lip stay below that.