• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Brand New PAU........Viper-ST Announced!!!!!!!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I determined that I needed about 7/8" of standoff for the DLE120 so I started digging through my stash of standoffs and precision washers. I found a great combo of washers and SWB spacers to make it work. REMEMBER to use a wide base standoff if at all possible to distribute the loads and engine bolt torque. Narrow standoffs with a narrow base will sink into the firewall with stress and you will end up with a bad day at the field!!!

Now, what the heck do you do if your engine mounting holes are too close to the top of the engine box????? No sweat, Ill show ya. In my case I am using a 1" x .25" machined base washer. I used a belt sander to grind a flat area until the hole lines up. I've done this with SWB mounts as well, no problem. I typically like to make my own wood engine mounts to really spread the stress out on the firewall, but these are made from hard maple and are not something that anyone can do since they need to be precisely cut.

Once the engine is test fit and everything is looking great (I had to move mine about 1/16" from my initial measurements) it's time to install the engine. I like to use a blind nut on the backside of the firewall, if not make sure you use a fender washer of at least 3/4" dia. to make sure the mounting hardware does not sink into the firewall. If you use a blind nut you will need to drill out the final hole a little larger so that the blind nut fits into the hole. Also, as in my case, the blind nuts may need to be trimmed for the top of the engine box, I do this with a tin snips. Once installed I also like to add at least two nylon lock nuts for one extra level of security.

Attachments

• _DSC0338.JPG
    _DSC0338.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 307
  • _DSC0339.JPG
    _DSC0339.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 336
  • _DSC0340.JPG
    _DSC0340.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 380
  • _DSC0341.JPG
    _DSC0341.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 339
  • _DSC0342.JPG
    _DSC0342.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 506
  • _DSC0343.JPG
    _DSC0343.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 507
  • _DSC0344.JPG
    _DSC0344.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 500
  • _DSC0345.JPG
    _DSC0345.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 485
  • _DSC0346.JPG
    _DSC0346.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 344
  • _DSC0347.JPG
    _DSC0347.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 313

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Next I installed my ignition. I decided to do it on the inside and drill a couple of holes large enough to get the caps out. If you do this, make sure you think ahead for the throttle servo location so that you don't have a wire sitting on the servo or the push rod. Also don't drill too close to any edge, there is a doubler on the inside so any holes should be inside of that doubler so you don't jeopardize any structural component.

I will put a small dab of goop to keep the wire from vibrating on the wood. I like to use plastic wire loom or a self healing silicone tape wherever the ignition wires stand any chance of rubbing on something.

_DSC0349.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0348.JPG
    _DSC0348.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 273
  • _DSC0350.JPG
    _DSC0350.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 250

sweetpea

100cc
You build your engine mounting similar to how I do mine. I also pin the motor box even though PAU tabs theirs.

While this is no SU-26 100cc.....I love the look of this bird and might be getting one. I'll probably call Herve soon. Though I want an ARC version so I can cover how I see fit!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Pinning the engine box is coming up later today. Still deciding on screws or dowels with the way the engine box / firewall is assembled.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Next I installed my ignition. I decided to do it on the inside and drill a couple of holes large enough to get the caps out. If you do this, make sure you think ahead for the throttle servo location so that you don't have a wire sitting on the servo or the push rod. Also don't drill too close to any edge, there is a doubler on the inside so any holes should be inside of that doubler so you don't jeopardize any structural component.

I will put a small dab of goop to keep the wire from vibrating on the wood. I like to use plastic wire loom or a self healing silicone tape wherever the ignition wires stand any chance of rubbing on something.

View attachment 17193
I like that the top of the engine box is open...makes for an easier install for somebody that doesn't have small hands.