• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Brand New PAU........Viper-ST Announced!!!!!!!!

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Although I grant that I was expecting some news like this sooner or later, walking into your shop today and seeing built-up structure on a viper totally floored me! Cool beans baby - if ya know what I mean.

Better put the seed in the ground and get my ass to Nall this year so I can see Herve's face when people fly it. If he was excited unboxing it, his fun has only begun.

Good Job Terry and Lori!

crashflow

70cc twin V2
The yellow proto that I bought will do everything in my 3d portfolio! I did all the high energy stuff with it and yet it slows down for ultra stable harriers and it does very easy rollers. The split ailerons are like nothing anybody is used too and will be Awesome to play with (as well as making set up easier). In my opinion it is The sexiest plane out there! I cant wait to get some more time on it and Really see what it will do!!

Well let me put it to you this way, ask Peter @DeathHorse (nice guy, scary user name;)). He flies over in Council Bluffs and I buddy boxed him at the Des Moines Huckfest on the yellow prototype that @crashflow bought from me this past weekend. All I did was talk him through the moves and he did a perfect straight axial roller, I was talking him through steering them and it was working well. For only flying it 10 minutes I think he made progress.

Now I there is more to it like proper setup, practice, etc. but that to me was a testament that I was headed in the correct direction.

Retired DeathHorse and Switched to ThePledge. Should make things a little less morose haha...

I was just learning rollers at the time and couldn't really get them going on my 30cc. At least not remotely axial.

The Viper just did them.

Sidenote: hopefully I'll have the Ultimate done by CornHuck and you can get a pull on the ZDZ 112.

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Sweet, we could have dueling 100cc Ultimates!!:big-grin:
I was temped when you had yours for sale? Really wanted to build a kit though. Having fun putting it together..

Augh....long day, I meant PAU Viper. Robbins bought my PAU Ultimate and he is loving it so far, but still getting comfy with two wings.

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, lets start some building!!!! After spending too much time on GSN this morning I had to work late but did make some progress.

I had a couple more stickers that I had ordered ahead when I built my last plane so I put those on. Now the plane really feels at home in the shop with the highly coveted FBI sticker installed! The Viper logo on the belly looks cool when doing low nose up torque rolls so it's kind of become a signature of mine. Thanks to Eric at B&E for working with me on the graphics that I designed, he does all my custom work:way_to_go:

_DSC0351.JPG
_DSC0352.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
First thing I like to do is use a tap and go through all of the blind nuts to clean out any paint residue or other gunk that may damage the threads of the assembly screws. I always run the screws in once as well before trying to install any part. This saves a lot of aggravation when you just start the screw and it locks up.
_DSC0307.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0308.JPG
    _DSC0308.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 290
  • _DSC0309.JPG
    _DSC0309.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 300

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Now since this is a prototype the cross hairs in the firewall is known to be off so I'm going to show a redneck way of checking for center. What I do is install about four layers of masking tape on both sides of the spinner back plate, then repeat on the front of the spinner cone. Use a pin to poke a hole in dead center of each pc. of tape. Enlarge the hole with a center punch and slide in a section of piano wire or a long drill bit. Install the cowl and hold the spinner in place, then you can poke in the wire to check for center!

This gets you in the ballpark and really close to home base. If using piano wire sharpen the end so you can poke a mark in the firewall.

Attachments

• _DSC0329.JPG
    _DSC0329.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 340
  • _DSC0330.JPG
    _DSC0330.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 342
  • _DSC0331.JPG
    _DSC0331.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 338
  • _DSC0332.JPG
    _DSC0332.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 348
  • _DSC0333.JPG
    _DSC0333.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 320

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Now it's time to mount my engine. I have a nearly broken in DLE120 that is running extremely well and it came out of the yellow scratch build prototype. This engine has had amazing power on the 25.5lb. plane it was on so it will be more than adequate power on this plane. I have run it with the Falcon 28x9 and 29x9 and it can rip them both at WOT.......perfect:devil-dance:

First I measured the back plate and used a square to draw some lines to locate the centers. To measure standoffs is simple. Install the cowl and use an adjustable square. Hold it flat against the face and extend the ruler to the firewall. Lock the square at that dimension. How hold it next to your engine and measure the difference. Add whatever you like for spinner / cowl gap and that is your standoff length!!!! Easy!!

_DSC0336.JPG
_DSC0337.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0334.JPG
    _DSC0334.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 288
  • _DSC0335.JPG
    _DSC0335.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 239