• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Brand New PAU........Viper-ST Announced!!!!!!!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
This is not the throttle servo (or arm) that I am using but I needed a test dummy. I decided to run my throttle push-rod through the firewall and mount the servo upright inside the engine box. To do this since I had a pre-existing throttle I'm I'm going to work with that. I pushed the throttle an the carb to where I want it with when the servo arm is 90 degrees out. Simply held the servo in location and traced around it. I drilled small holes in all four corners and used a sharp hobby knife to score the bottom until the piece was loose. After a quick test fit I installed some blocks on the bottom side of the engine box for the servo screws to go through.

Attachments

• _DSC0353.JPG
    _DSC0353.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 325
  • _DSC0354.JPG
    _DSC0354.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 317
  • _DSC0355.JPG
    _DSC0355.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 319
  • _DSC0356.JPG
    _DSC0356.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 339
  • _DSC0357.JPG
    _DSC0357.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 356
  • _DSC0358.JPG
    _DSC0358.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 324

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Now that I'm done drilling and cutting up front I want to pin the firewall. There is a whole lot going on up on the business end of your airplane while doing pop tops, crankshafts, blenders etc. The gyroscopic forces are mind blowing, therefore it is cheap insurance to pin your firewall so if something were to come loose over time at least your will not discover it as your engine is departing the airplane!

There are several ways to do this. You can use carbon dowels but then you need to use epoxy for best strength and that can be a pain. Wood dowels are easy (but I did not have any on hand). I have also used servo screws depending on the structure. Looking at this one I decided to go with #4 x 3/4" screws.

I drilled pilot holes and hardened them with thin CA. Then when installing the screws I put a little bit of medium CA on the threads and screwed them in tight.

_DSC0362.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0359.JPG
    _DSC0359.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 487
  • _DSC0360.JPG
    _DSC0360.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 412
  • _DSC0361.JPG
    _DSC0361.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 292

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I need to get to my real job for a few hours but I did start cutting the cowl to verify muffler exits. As mentioned previously this was a quick prototype cowl and they missed the typical PAU low pressure lip on the bottom of the cowl. I am going to lay one up by just laying up a portion of the lower half of a cowl plug that I made for an upcoming project. When it cures, tomorrow I can cut out the bottom of this cowl and graft in the new part!

Attachments

• _DSC0363.JPG
    _DSC0363.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 426
  • _DSC0364.JPG
    _DSC0364.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 265

sweetpea

100cc
This is not the throttle servo (or arm) that I am using but I needed a test dummy. I decided to run my throttle push-rod through the firewall and mount the servo upright inside the engine box. To do this since I had a pre-existing throttle I'm I'm going to work with that. I pushed the throttle an the carb to where I want it with when the servo arm is 90 degrees out. Simply held the servo in location and traced around it. I drilled small holes in all four corners and used a sharp hobby knife to score the bottom until the piece was loose. After a quick test fit I installed some blocks on the bottom side of the engine box for the servo screws to go through.

This is where I love the Seacraft servo holders! No need to cut into the motorbox and they make lining up a 1-1 linkage easy!

20090421012120a3.jpg