• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Build: Dalton Extra 300

Sub'd. I have a non-MEL dalton and I love it. I Wanted the MEL for IMAC but found a steal on this one. It tracks really well and actually does quite a bit of 3D even with my IMAC setup. That sucks that you don't have an iMac field near you.

I looked into pattern as well and I may get a pattern ship eventually. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time for running around to contests at this time.

I went back to working on the incidences this afternoon. The tail is done and with the retention bolts, I was able to adjust it and keep the stabs at 0 degrees pretty easily so they should be within 0.05 degrees of each other. I rechecked the stab incidence using the 1/4" bit like it was the anti-rotation dowel.

To help hold the wing in place and make the measurements, I took a piece of 1/2" balsa and cut a slot in it similar to the wing. I then clamp this to the fuse to hold the position. You really have to clamp down to keep it from moving. I had the clamp sitting on plywood in the fuse and you will crush the balsa a little with the tool, but it's OK.

After I drilled the first hole through the fuse, I found out a made a mistake. It turns out that when I put in the anti-rotation dowels, I put them in the wrong spots. I don't remember if I went off the plans but I know I didn't compare it to the fuse. So a lesson learned the hard way.

I was close on the front anti-rotation dowels but not close enough. So I opened a 1" hole with a forstner bit and had to remove part of the original anti-rotation dowel by drilling around the edges and then using a drywall bit in my dremel. I then went to the hardware store and bought a 1" dowel and cut it to lengths of each of the holes. I am gluing this in with poly glue and I will fill in any of the top gaps with epoxy and milled fiberglass.

I'm hoping this in an OK fix. The holes ended up slightly bigger than 1" and the new dowel is going through ply root. If I need to, I can dremel around the edge of the new anti-rotation dowel and fill that in with epoxy and milled fiberglass too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

20150509_153257.jpg
20150509_153304.jpg
20150509_163120.jpg
20150509_163143.jpg
20150509_182740.jpg
20150509_184549.jpg
20150509_184700.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looking really good! Bet it flies straight right off the table! I'm impressed.Should have snuck in here earlier. I quite don't understand what you are asking about the 1"dowel. Is this acting as a "hard point" for the wing pins? If so I see no problems with your fix. The wing tube will absorb most of the flight loads.

Last edited:
Looking really good! Bet it flies straight right off the table! I'm impressed.Should have snuck in here earlier. I quite don't understand what you are asking about the 1"dowel. Is this acting as a "hard point" for the wing pins? If so I see no problems with your fix. The wing tube will absorb most of the flight loads.

That is right, they are the hard point for the wing pins. My concern is that the incidence could change slightly as they are not glued to the plywood root rib glued to the cores.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
That is right, they are the hard point for the wing pins. My concern is that the incidence could change slightly as they are not glued to the plywood root rib glued to the cores.

I see. As long as the glue you use and filler material harden well I think you ok.