• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D CAP 232-ST design / build / prototype

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I will do my best with the 10% deal, but here is my requirements:
1 - It has to look badass
2 - It as to be a 3D monster
3 - It has to be capable of some very clean lines mixed with the 3D monster
4 - It has to be "quirk" free so I can hand it to a new guy and tell them to pull full up elevator above full throttle and they smile with surprise.

I did all this with the Viper so I set the bar there. If something does not act right or it has bad tendencies it will be revised and re-built. My greatest success with the Viper designs was having people with little to no 3D skills fly them and yank them around with no surprises. That is what I'm shooting for with this one as well. Plus, this one "should" fit a DA120.....will tell next week for sure. It'll be close.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Sounds like a good plan. I can tell you what can happen if number 4 isn't right. Eventually your airplane winds up looking like this.
Yak Trash Small.JPG

jaybird

70cc twin V2
For what it's worth I don't think stretching the tail will adversely affect tumbling if the flippers have the throw. Look at the 3DHS Extra, the Slick, or the EF Extras, Edges, etc. All excel at tumbling maneuvers even with a stretched out fuse.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I promise that won't be an issue Jetpainter!!

For what it's worth I don't think stretching the tail will adversely affect tumbling if the flippers have the throw. Look at the 3DHS Extra, the Slick, or the EF Extras, Edges, etc. All excel at tumbling maneuvers even with a stretched out fuse.

Agreed, I've flown them all and have seen what works and what does not.....hope to put all that into consideration here.

Been running some numbers and it looks like I'm going to settle in at about 105" / 92-93" with approximately 2200-2250 inches of wing area. I'm getting excited to get this thing on paper now. Sort of like Nick Cage......you gotta get pumped up until it's ready to rock and roll!!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I promise that won't be an issue Jetpainter!!

I'm sure it wont. I know your a perfectionist and that you wouldn't be happy with an airplane you designed that didn't fly great. The airplane in the picture I posted would snap off to the right every time you breathed too hard on the elevator at any kind of speed. I tried all kinds of fixes, none of which worked, until the three T's, Too low, Too fast and Too much elevator, fixed it permanently as seen in the picture.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Way too many planes that are kitted and ARF'ed without proper testing. LOTS of ARF's out there with really jacked up wing loading which was probably one of your main culprit I would suspect.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
If the above dimensions are derived from a scale 3 view drawing of a cap I would take advantage of the 10% IMAC rule and stretch it out to 96" long (88"+10%) if you want it to be an IMAC plane. If you are looking for a 3D plane the shorter fuse would be ideal. Possibly include a builders choice option if you decide to kit it ! ?

Shorter does not equal better 3d. 89" 3dhs slick one of best 3d planes out there and it is 89 wing 91 fuse.