• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D CAP 232-ST design / build / prototype

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
This one I'm just basically filling, There are going to be really large chunks of this cowl removed, and re-shaped, but you are correct.....I've done some pretty extensive re-work on cowls before with tape, milled fibers and resin. If you do a thread I'll try to chime in. I just got a PM from a GSN member this AM that I "might" be helping with a little repair on a huge cowl yet this winter.

so long as you can rebuild the contours around the outside with the tape you can lay it up from the inside and it ends up looking perfect. a little bondo here, some sanding and filling there, and it's done.

Love the idea of the Cap build, I'm a bit of a purist with a lot of stuff but I'll deal with it I guess! lol

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
LOL, got myself a big freakin mess now!!:lol2:

So, since I'm going to be cutting chunks out of this in particular on the back corners, I want to make sure it maintains shape. I like this two part urethane expanding foam. It's pretty crazy shiznit, and is really heavy, dense and easy to carve and shape. Sands nice and works well with various fillers and chemicals. CA glue does not even eat this stuff!!!

So I filled in some of the areas that I'm going to be building up, and also hit the outside of the cowl with some 8 grit with a low speed orbital to really rough it up. I made a dam with some masking tape and put some foam in. When you mix this stuff you basically have 90 seconds to mix, pour spread and cross your fingers.

I actually think I like the more stock front instead of a snorkel. Maybe try to come up with some sort of bezel and screen like @Pistolera did on his Krill. A couple of pics to show stock screen area.

Attachments

• _DSC0400.JPG
    _DSC0400.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 369
  • _DSC0401.JPG
    _DSC0401.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 367
  • _DSC0402.JPG
    _DSC0402.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 386
  • _DSC0403.JPG
    _DSC0403.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 355
  • _DSC0404.JPG
    _DSC0404.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 388
  • _DSC0405.JPG
    _DSC0405.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 386
  • _DSC0406.JPG
    _DSC0406.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 25_CD_a_CAP_232_aerobatic_machine_of_the_French_Air_Force_(3218391662).jpg
    25_CD_a_CAP_232_aerobatic_machine_of_the_French_Air_Force_(3218391662).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 404
  • 1407030.jpg
    1407030.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

crashflow

70cc twin V2
When do you sleep? good luck with the new project I am sure when you are done doing your magic it will be flawless!!!!

Husker

50cc
I kind of dig the metal screen look.

That foam stuff is nuts. I have messed around with some similar stuff. I learned two things while using it:
1. You can make a huge mess real fast
2. You can use it to turn just about anything into a boat.

I am getting all giddy thinking about this. I love caps. I want a cap more than any other plane right now I think.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I kind of dig the metal screen look.

That foam stuff is nuts. I have messed around with some similar stuff. I learned two things while using it:
1. You can make a huge mess real fast
2. You can use it to turn just about anything into a boat.
And somehow even though I'm wearing gloves I always manage to get some on exposed skin right as it's going off. Man that gets hot!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
And somehow even though I'm wearing gloves I always manage to get some on exposed skin right as it's going off. Man that gets hot!

Yup, it does get super hot. I did a little hacking, carving and sanding and got the basic shape knocked out. I needed to put a little more foam on the inside to firm up a couple of spots to I applied packing tape with mold release on the to half, taped it all together and poured more foam on the bottom half. Got like a pizza oven in there!!

Anyway, other than I need more filler towards the back, you can start to see the basic shape of the sides now:
_DSC0409.JPG
_DSC0410.JPG
1968921.jpg
_DSC0409.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0407.JPG
    _DSC0407.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 294
  • _DSC0408.JPG
    _DSC0408.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 275

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Wait for this foam to harden and I'll apply a little more on the outside. Next I'm going to doctor the openings.....these suckers are HUGE and need to be scaled down a bit. I may have to do that with regular bondo though so that will likely happen tomorrow between working on the Viper.

jaybird

70cc twin V2
Awesome! Looking forward to this one. Will be cool to see a modernized Cap. I learned 3D on a Hanger 9 33%. Very stable, predictable plane.
For what it's worth, I like the snorkel, but the screen looks great also.