• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D CAP 232-ST design / build / prototype

BalsaDust

Great Terry can't wait to see this one come together. I would say no to the snorkle on the front but thats just me.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've put a few more layers of foam on and really getting some shape. I really think if there was a snorkel it would be so short it would look bad so I think I'm going to leave it off. For our engines the prop is back a little further than scale so the front is snubbed a little bit. I'm going to spread some filler and try to take a couple pics before I call it done for today.

tylerzx9r

100cc
More Awesome stuff Terry! I also am beginning to wonder if you sleep. Eric says he has seen you bleed, but given all this awesomeness, I have my suspicions........ (machine)? man? (machine)? ;)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, now we're getting somewhere. If you look under the globs and smears of drywall compound there is almost a really badass cowl cap starting to take shape!!! Tomorrow I get to sand on this and grind about 1/4" off the top above the openings, that should be exciting! That is where the foam that is now inside the cowl will really make sense. I've already cut some fiberglass out of the back corners to round out the belly a little more and will likely be shaping that more tomorrow as well.

Right now it's beer thirty and The LAW says it's time for supper so more in the AM.

Attachments

• _DSC0411.JPG
    _DSC0411.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 388
  • _DSC0412.JPG
    _DSC0412.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 365
  • _DSC0413.JPG
    _DSC0413.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 342
  • _DSC0414.JPG
    _DSC0414.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 357
  • _DSC0415.JPG
    _DSC0415.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 341

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
is that foam anything special Terry? buy it local or mail order from somewhere?

the lines under the nose are looking a lot better! you did all of that today?

Nice ! Good to see something different. And Yes a CAP can be designed to not be snappy. I modified the old Great Planes .60 size kit to fly like a pattern plane years ago. It stalled straight ahead and wings level. and did it at very slow airspeeds. Those were the notorious CAP 21's. Moved the wing and lengthened the nose moment. Also moved the gear to the fuse,out of the wing. I'm sure you will get a great flying plane here.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Awesome! Looking forward to this one. Will be cool to see a modernized Cap. I learned 3D on a Hanger 9 33%. Very stable, predictable plane.
For what it's worth, I like the snorkel, but the screen looks great also.

Ditto here jaybird. Lost it straight in to asphalt wot. Really liked it. Most spectacular crash of many back then

Thanks Terry (I am so unworthy) , will follow with great enthusiasm!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Yet another awesome build thread here on GSN.....by Terry "The Machine" Custom:)

Don't know about "Machine", just self employed and able to get my normal daily work done in 4-5 hours usually so leaves a little time to play!

Thanks Terry (I am so unworthy) , will follow with great enthusiasm!

Thanks man, I know you asked about this last week........as did a half dozen other guy's. That's why I figured I'd bump it up on my list of projects. I'm looking forward to getting this cowl plug roughed out over the next several days so I can start on the CAD work. I need to do work on a canopy plug as well, but that will be a little slower and won't hold me up on the fuse design.