• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D CAP 232-ST design / build / prototype

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That's what he said last year!!!

Yeaaaaaa, wise guy!!

LOL, well, it does not look like I'm making great progress, but I am actually getting very close. Today after a few more fill / sand / fill / sand routines I was finally ready to give the filler a bath in resin diluted with alcohol to seal it all up. I also had to glass certain parts that were made from pink foam (not friendly to paint products). With this glassed I was able to and lightly and put one last skim coat of filler on before I left for the day. Tomorrow after a few touch ups I should be able to apply the first coats of primer........then some more fill / sand / fill / sand. The encouraging part is that now the filler is things like pinholes and small teaks and not huge blobs of filler!!!

I should be able to start on molds next week!!! Since I'm that close I'm just going to finish and get an actual cowl before I start on the CAD work, that way I can laser out a cowl ring and F-1 former and start there.

_DSC0439.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
What oz. cloth are you using for this?

Thanks guy's. I actually used 3oz satin cloth because it conforms to corners and complex curves. Specifically the bottom of the cowl is carved from pink foam. On my Viper cowl the clear coat actually bled through the primer and softened up some foam. I plan to shoot this with primer sealer before the clearcoat to further prevent that.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey look! It's all a solid color!!! Unfortunately not for long.....more crap to fill / sand / fill / sand:oblong:

Soon! I ordered the last of the materials to make the molds so with luck we'll be doing that next week. I'm already concerned about this bottom part coming out of the mold, but really it should almost be easier than the original cowl that I started with. Mainly smoothed it out and added a scoop were the major mods. I'm sure it'll work out.
_DSC0440.JPG
_DSC0442.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0441.JPG
    _DSC0441.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 284
  • _DSC0443.JPG
    _DSC0443.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 299
  • _DSC0444.JPG
    _DSC0444.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 282