• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport CARF Pitts - Engine Upgrade

reyn3545

100cc
I ordered some Secraft canister mounts from Gerhard at AI.. and received a call from him today to tell me that he was closing out of his Secraft inventory... no can mounts available. So, I'll try the KS Soft mounts. I've used them many times in the past with great success, the only problem here is that its going to be a very tight fit. If I can get the pieces placed in that narrow area between the fuel tank tray and the bottom of the fuse, it will be a small miracle. We'll see next week.

reyn3545

100cc
IMG_20151212_160656071.jpg
OK... got the canister mounts installed, ignition installed on top of the motor dome, not much left to do except install the throttle linkage, route some fuel lines and start cranking on it! Maybe tomorrow I'll get to her it running. With the holidays and everything else going on, it's tough to get a few hours to make progress, then you have to stop while glue dries.

I added some CF cloth for additional support on the side of the fuse where the canister mount meets, that combined with the West Systems and some Hysol should hold the cans in place well. The mounts are much further back than I prefer.. only about 2 inches from the back of the cans, but that's where they had to go in order to reach the mounting screws. The headers are solid, so there shouldn't be any flexing on that end anyway, it should work fine. There's clearance all around the headers, not much, but you don't need much. Here's a few pics of the mounts (before Hysol), and the cans in place. I still need to pull the headers and add the clamps, but this fit was really to determine where to mount the throttle servo.

IMG_20151212_084005260.jpg
IMG_20151212_151314361.jpg

Last edited:

reyn3545

100cc
I tie it up to a deck post... hopefully it won't pull the deck down!

I think I'm going to have to order a new lower cowl. I added louvers on the cowl to help with airflow on the radial. Unfortunately, now the canister exit tubes are going to be just enough in the way that they would make me cut the metal louvers on 2 corners. I'll take a closer look later, but I think another lower cowl is in my future.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
speaking of a CARF Pitts, did anyone ever own a CARF Pitts S1-11? There was a banged up one for sale a while back and I think it's still in the guy's garage somewhere in Jersey.