• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport CARF Pitts - Engine Upgrade

reyn3545

100cc
OK... fixed it, it's public now.

I didn't want to spend half the week in Mexico wondering if I could get the motor tuned in... so after the end of the crappy football game, I took the plane back out in the yard. 3W says to start the high and low needles on both carbs at 1 1/4, so I started there. The high speed needles both needed to be open just over 2 turns, but the low speed will work for now at 1 1/4. It's a little sluggush, probably rich, at idle, but that's OK for now.

Here's a quick video after the tuning. I was standing in front of the stabs, so not much to see. This thing has some pull! I didn't tach it, but it was turning a 33x12 about as fast as I would want it to.

It doesn't sound like a Moki, but it sure has a TON of pull. If it's turning at 5000 (seemed like it)... then it's getting almost 80 pounds of pull, compared to the 51 pounds I was seeing on the Moki. That's a fair trade off for the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=4CVCBDYKUAI

reyn3545

100cc
I don't know if I'm going to put smoke back on it or not. I have all the parts, but I'm not a big fan of pumping smoke oil into canisters. They gat gummed up fast enough on their own.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Not much a smoke fan. Of course I can't fly good enough to justify using smoke. Now a good cigar while I'm at the field is another story.

reyn3545

100cc
I'm back in town, but it's a rainy Thursday in Atlanta. I'll try to get an idea this afternoon about how many changes I need to make to get the plane CG'd. The 3W weighs almost a pound more, then the cans are just over a pound.

To make it lighter, I've removed about a half pound on the nose by removing the old 2-cylinder motor dome, I removed a 3-cell A123 battery that I used for the smoke pump, I removed the smoke pump itself, and the smoke tank. Also the choke servo. That all together comes to almost 2 pounds, so I should be pretty close on the CG.