• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Corsair F4U 1/3 scale

Blazing Wings

70cc twin V2
That 1/3 scale Corsair is consuming a lot of wood. Need to order more supplies to finish her, and start working on the plugs for cowl, canopy and flaps. This is sure no easy build, especially the flaps on the wing gull. I will build a smaller 94" wingspan Corsair next year in composite like my others.

The smaller Corsair would be easy to build by the customer, same design and concept as my P40 1/4 scale.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well you just don't do anything small do you? Dang, I am going to trade in all my Aerobatic planes for some custom built warbirds.
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Blazing Wings

70cc twin V2
Well you just don't do anything small do you? Dang, I am going to trade in all my Aerobatic planes for some custom built warbirds.
View attachment 105736

I like to keep the planes I develop between 90" and 120", or from 1/5-1/4 scale. The P51 and Corsair that I plan to develop next year will be 94" for the Corsair and 100" P51. The really big ones I build are special custom projects that I don't really want to do, as they take a lot of room and especially time to build which keeps me from developing my own projects.

But yes, I like building big planes :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I like to keep the planes I develop between 90" and 120", or from 1/5-1/4 scale. The P51 and Corsair that I plan to develop next year will be 94" for the Corsair and 100" P51. The really big ones I build are special custom projects that I don't really want to do, as they take a lot of room and especially time to build which keeps me from developing my own projects.

But yes, I like building big planes :)
It is crazy how we go through phases. My son and I started out with your basic nitro planes when we learned to fly. Then we got absolutely hooked on the warbirds. Ah but then the 3d bug bit us. "HARD". It has been a great chapter for us to enjoy. But truly my passion is still the warbirds. I guess it comes from the romance and nostalgia from the long gone years of a true piston engine fighter. Slowly I plan to build back up my arsenal of warbirds. I am still seriously considering your big P40. And like you, I love the "BIG PLANES".

Blazing Wings

70cc twin V2
Same here, back then all we had was electric and nitro. Then came the big planes with gas engines. I never got into 3D but always loved the old "gals" (warbirds). They were so classy, and the curve and lines so sexy :). There are many WW2 planes I would like to develop and will see how many I actually will. I suspended the P40 from the ceiling for now, as I need room for the 1/3 scale Corsair. The first P40 is staying here for display anyways, as I do get quite a few visitors checking out my stuff.

Did I mention that I am adding a composite horizontal stabilizer to the P40 kit? I finished the plug and will make the molds for it soon. This will make the building even easier. So all left is to build the outer wings, ailerons, rudder and elevator. I also made a canopy composite frame to be more realistic, then just having a vacuum formed plastic. Also the 1/4 scale P40 construction will be done in fiberglass and carbon fiber. It will be a very nice light weight kit and made to order only at this point.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Same here, back then all we had was electric and nitro. Then came the big planes with gas engines. I never got into 3D but always loved the old "gals" (warbirds). They were so classy, and the curve and lines so sexy :). There are many WW2 planes I would like to develop and will see how many I actually will. I suspended the P40 from the ceiling for now, as I need room for the 1/3 scale Corsair. The first P40 is staying here for display anyways, as I do get quite a few visitors checking out my stuff.

Did I mention that I am adding a composite horizontal stabilizer to the P40 kit? I finished the plug and will make the molds for it soon. This will make the building even easier. So all left is to build the outer wings, ailerons, rudder and elevator. I also made a canopy composite frame to be more realistic, then just having a vacuum formed plastic. Also the 1/4 scale P40 construction will be done in fiberglass and carbon fiber. It will be a very nice light weight kit and made to order only at this point.
Boy you are really enticing me. The mod to the stabs and canopy are really getting me close that "but it now" button. How much of an advance notice do you need to gather one (P40) ready for shipping?

Blazing Wings

70cc twin V2
Well, Winter is creeping up on us, slowly but it is coming, which means, making parts in fiberglass will slow things down. However if you want to have one in or around spring time, now would be the time to order. Normally I would need about 6-8 weeks to fabricate a kit. Weather and temperature could slow things down as mentioned above. But I always try to complete a project as quick as possible. If you are not in a rush, I would say order now to have it in Spring 2019 the latest.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well, Winter is creeping up on us, slowly but it is coming, which means, making parts in fiberglass will slow things down. However if you want to have one in or around spring time, now would be the time to order. Normally I would need about 6-8 weeks to fabricate a kit. Weather and temperature could slow things down as mentioned above. But I always try to complete a project as quick as possible. If you are not in a rush, I would say order now to have it in Spring 2019 the latest.
Fair enough. Thank you very much.