Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Corsair F4U 1/3 scale

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by Blazing Wings, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Back on the 1/3 scale Corsair. Did I mention how tough it is to build those flaps? Once I have the wing tube and wing connections in place I will make final adjustments for the flaps. They are plugs and I will make composite flaps once all fit and mods are final.

20181120_142828.jpg

2. Sage L Arnell

Sage L Arnell New to GSN!

Utah
    Where did you find 1/3 scale plans I've been looking all over for a plane to house a 115 cc 9 cylinder

stangflyer likes this.
  3. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

Are you building this for yourself or for a customer?

If it's for you, why a giant Corsair? It's cool and all but there's got to be something to it that is personal, no?

stangflyer likes this.
  4. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

I would have loved to have been in the meeting where the engineers reported to the managers that they've run the preliminary numbers and a straight wing won't work......."so what do you recommend?" asked the managers......"A reverse gull wing sir" .....followed by...... silence

I imagine it probably went something like that

stangflyer and Blazing Wings like this.
  5. I have plans in CAD. I can scale to any size needed. I plan to do another Corsair in about 100" wingspan. Maybe I can get started on it next year 2019

stangflyer and Jetpainter like this.
  6. I am building this for a customer. I am just doing the building for him. He will then take over and do the glassing and scale detailing on it.

stangflyer, Jetpainter and Bartman like this.
  7. Since I can not do any composite work during winter months, I continued work on the 1/3 scale Corsair. I have completed sheeting the fuselage. Now I am working on the tail cone, and some other parts of the plane. We completed modifying the retracts to electric and sized them to fit inside this plane. I can go ahead and continue working on the wing gull section and installing spar and wing connection to wing gull. Outer wings are pretty much completed as well, just a few areas left open for spar installation. Meanwhile I will mill a plug for the canopy and cowl for fiberglass work. Soon she'll be ready to be taken to her new home.

Attached Files:

8. I am discussing with myself, if I should turn the 1/3 scale Corsair into a composite kit. I received a lot of inquiries and emails asking for a kit. The only reason that holds me back is, how many sincere people out there would really like to have a 1/3 scale Corsair? To make just one is to much work and out of the question.

It will be one of a kind for sure. I will give it some thought.

stangflyer likes this.
  9. Looks like I might go ahead and do a 1/3 scale Corsair in composite. I will know this month if this is going to happen.

I will post more details in a day or so.

stangflyer likes this.
  10. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

The gull wing design was to shorten the retracts for heavy landing conditions.