• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Covering Contest/Pilot 40% 122" Extra 330SC

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A few more photos of this eye popping scheme!
upload_2017-12-30_1-6-27.jpeg
upload_2017-12-30_1-6-44.jpeg
upload_2017-12-30_1-6-55.jpeg
images
images
images
upload_2017-12-30_1-9-25.jpeg
images
upload_2017-12-30_1-13-3.jpeg
images
images

I suspect I am going to need to get as many photos showing as many angles as I can get. Here is something new too. As most of you know, I am not a huge fan of smoke systems. However, that being said I am actually contemplating putting smoke on this one. So I will be calling on the "Guru's of Smoke" to help me out on this install fellas. But we will save that for the Building/Covering thread.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Well everyone, it is that time. The time in which if I "HAD" any hair left, I would by now have pulled it all out. The time to select one of the really amazing schemes posted by one of you wonderful gents. You all of been really great and most gracious with your offerings and suggestions. Some of the schemes I had seen before but did not remember they existed. Some of them, I had no idea were out there. Some of them...some of the most amazing schemes I have seen. When I set out on this endeavor, I wanted something different and unique. Something not "everyone" had. Something that would really grab your attention and turn some heads. Something that, well...something that would really stand apart from other rc airplanes. Add to that, this 330sc will probably be my last personal project for awhile. I may look at something middle to real late next year for the 110cs. But for now, I have plenty of flyable planes and really want to just enjoy what I have. Each plane I have holds kind of a special meaning for me. Baby (SD 260) was my first true giant scale that pushed me to keep trying and learning and growing in this great hobby. The Sukhoi is special to me as it is just so much fun to take her out and relax. And on down the line from the Pitts to the new little Baby Yak. The Behemoth Yak is, well... BEHEMOTH. The same goes for my Pilot Edge and all the others not mentioned. Also part of the reason these planes are so special to me is many of you out there supported me and offered suggestions and ideas. Remember the Pitts build last winter? Wow, I couldn't have gotten through that without many of you! And this is what this awesome hobby is all about. Your friends that are really your kindred spirit brothers. Sharing a love and a passion unlike anything else we do in life. Oh yes, I know.... there are those that idly stand by, cast a pointing finger and laugh and poke fun at our "toy" airplanes. For me, they are much more than that.

So from me to all of you that have added to or been a part of my projects...including this Covering Scheme Contest...I can only offer a very huge thank you.

As for acknowledgments, A huge and massive thank you goes out to Mike, (@pawnshopmike). When I first approached him with this idea, He did what everyone that knows him well knew he would do. Offer to contribute to this little contest, (madness) Lol. So between the two of us we put together this little contest for you fellas. Maybe in part to just add a little fun. Maybe in part to bring us a little closer. Maybe in part to share ideas and thoughts and suggestions. Mostly in part to help make our home here at Giant Scale News just a little warmer and friendlier. So please everyone...give Mike a huge hand and a very huge THANK YOU.

And of course to all you that busted your butts on my behalf to help me find the perfect scheme for what I was looking for. What I have selected is exactly what I was looking for. Different, unique, out of the ordinary and most definitely not something that everyone has. Something that looks as good on the flight line as she does wiggling her hinny with her nose in the air. Can't tell you all how much I appreciate the effort and the amount of ideas you tossed at me. Yeah, you too @Jetpainter. Thank you Doug.

There were a few that really "REALLY" had me scratching my head and wondering why I don't have more planes. Some of them were so close of a selection that I almost couldn't decide. However, I did manage to pull one out of the magicians hat. I just hope with all my heart that I can reproduce this scheme and be able to do it justice.

Thanks...big big...."BIG" thanks goes out to @Luchnia.
View attachment 101002 View attachment 101003 View attachment 101005View attachment 101000

So there you have it. Sorry it took so long to post this. I started this posting and hit a wrong button and it all disappeared. UGH.... So I had to start over. Oh the joys of getting old. LOL.

Once again, thank you everyone. Each and every one of you that put so much effort into this. Next step for me is start stripping a plane and ordering a bunch of covering.

Congratulations @Luchnia. And thank you for finding that scheme for me. Get hold of Mike. He will get you taken care.
Wow....thanks a bunch!

I am not surprised you like this scheme, but I am surprised you chose this scheme given the level of difficulty it presents. Out of the pages and pages of planes I looked at, this kept popping up overall in my mind as the most unique and exciting design, especially the way the pearl paints give you amazing views at different angles when the light bounces off.

I imagine this will be difficult to re-create as there are a lot of curves in this scheme. I am excited to see you attempt this. I can only imagine how challenging this is even for the most advanced in covering, but looking at your planes there is no doubt you do some great work. I am looking forward to how you get this over into the RC realm. Hope you will be able to share your journey in this covering job with us. I know I would love to learn more of the techniques.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Wow....thanks a bunch!

I am not surprised you like this scheme, but I am surprised you chose this scheme given the level of difficulty it presents. Out of the pages and pages of planes I looked at, this kept popping up overall in my mind as the most unique and exciting design, especially the way the pearl paints give you amazing views at different angles when the light bounces off.

I imagine this will be difficult to re-create as there are a lot of curves in this scheme. I am excited to see you attempt this. I can only imagine how challenging this is even for the most advanced in covering, but looking at your planes there is no doubt you do some great work. I am looking forward to how you get this over into the RC realm. Hope you will be able to share your journey in this covering job with us. I know I would love to learn more of the techniques.
You are very welcome. I really appreciate you posting this scheme. Most generally I "know" when I see something, I know right off I just have to have it. This scheme was rivaled by quite a number that were posted. However as mentioned, I like challenges and figured why not?! I realize it will be difficult but I do have plenty of time before now and Huckfest later 2018. Which as it happens, is hopefully going to be my major go to plane to take. Thank you for the compliments. I do try to take care of my planes. I am hopeful that I can duplicate the entire scheme in exacting detail. I really don't have any special techniques. Just old fashioned tenacity. LOL. Stubborn would also be appropriate. LOL. I will be doing the scheme covering here so you are welcomed to follow along.

http://giantscalenews.com/threads/pilot-40-330-recover-and-build.10503/

I will be getting started on it this weekend. Well, the stripping that is. LOTS of covering to order. Yikes.
Thank you again for posting this scheme and for being a major influence in this next project.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well congrats on the choice it is one of the best and it will look great. And I would like to thank @pawnshopmike and @stangflyer for this hole episode it was great and exciting and I belive that it made GSN a better place. Must give @Jetpainter a special thanks for all the schemes he came up with and the changes he made try to accommodate the Stang. Last comment for the person who does not like checkers you surprised me the bottom of the plane is going make you work for it and I belive we all want pictures of every step to make sure you get it right, there will be many judges and I hope you still have some hair to pull out because you will need it.
Great forum and thoroughly enjoyed it.
@Luchnia great picture and congratulations on the win.

Last edited:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Well congrats on the choice it is one of the best and it will look great. And I would like to thank @pawnshopmike and @stangflyer for this hole episode it was great and exciting and I belive that it made GSN a better place. Must give @Jetpainter a special thanks for all the schemes he came up with and the changes he made try to accommodate the Stang. Last comment for the person who does not like checkers you surprised me the bottom of the plane is going make you work for it and I belive we all want pictures of every step to make sure you get it right, there will be many judges and I hope you still have some hair to pull out because you will need it.

Thanks for the kudos bro.:way_to_go:

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
@Luchnia great picture and congratulations on the win.
I cannot remember where, but I saw some checkers with that curved distorted look on a plane and it looked really nice. I inquired about them and the person told me they were a dog to do! In my opinion, the anti-typical checkers look much better than the standard square ones. I bought some square checkers to put on one of my planes and just could not do it LOL