• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA-70 and Plane Bender Smooth Pipes

Bdegan

50cc
Ok Boys and girls.

Crack open a cold one and sit down LOL :very_drunk:

I had the chance today to finally test my DA70. I did a run up on a few props with the stock mufflers.

Then I did some header length testing with the Plane Bender Smooth pipes.

Here are the basic results

Stock Muffler

Falcon 25x8 wide = 7050...

Falcon 24x10 = 6930

Falcon 24x9 = 7380 ( not sure about this reading )

Beila 24 x 8 = 7020

Most of these stock muffler numbers are better than most of the piped numbers on the other 60 cc engines myself and Tbrum have tested.

Tuned Pipe

Falcon 25x8 wide = 7530 @ 8.5 inch header

Falcon 24x9 = 7480 @ 8.5 inch header

Here is the video of the final run up with the 25 x8 wide Falcon.

Bdegan

50cc
The MTW headers that I got from DA are 10.25 inches in length.

Set with a 1/4 inch gap gives a header length of 10.5 inches. Consider that the stock bolt on pipe set up.

RPM increase over the 7050 stock muffler result was only 7110. An increase of 60 rpm. So I had to start cutting the stainless header to see what would happen.

The results are extremely positive.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Do you guys have a way to measure thrust? I am interested in those numbers.:tennis:

Bdegan

50cc
Hi Eric,

If I had it in an airframe I could do a rough thrust measurement for you.

But for now, the stand isn't set up for thrust measurements.

that's actually a project for this winter. That little test stand is getting a redesign this winter.

it's going to get redone to be able to record thrust. Also the motors will mount so that the pipes will he on top. Much easier and faster for header length changes.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Sounds good. I will be watching with anticipation. I was thinking a light 100CC'ish airframe might be a good candidate for this setup.

Bdegan

50cc
ericb;9827 wrote: Sounds good. I will be watching with anticipation. I was thinking a light 100CC'ish airframe might be a good candidate for this setup.

Mind reader ... LOL

That's what I am thinking for this winters build project :nodding-yes-by-a-ve

O

Ohio AV8TOR

This is a nice setup that I saw. I sure wish one was available for the VVRC40 too.

D8218FBB-A664-4AD9-8654-622AC7F054ED-2088-000002C8D4A8C9EA_zps1966e78f.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Bdegan;9831 wrote: Mind reader ... LOL

That's what I am thinking for this winters build project :nodding-yes-by-a-ve

From seeing your builds in the past, this will be awesome. You will have to talk Terry into doing a build like that also so I can see it first hand.