• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Dalotel Junior

I'm starting as promised a new thread on the Dalotel Junior, (100")
it will not a be a rush job so could be some time lapse between posting, please feel free to post your comments

These first pictures are the root and tip rib templates for hot wire , but the foam wing will not be a solid foam wing but rather a jig built foam rib wing,

These templates are made of 1/4 " plywood but with a .021" aluminum sheet on one side, the reason being as the wire gets hot, it tends to dig in the wood but with the aluminum , there will be no problem,

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 569
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 766
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 600
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 583
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 571

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi Roger,

I made a hot-wire cutter a few years ago but never used it enough to get great results. what diameter wire do you use and what do you have for a power supply? i was using the transformer from my old Lionel trains! I guess it takes some trial and error to get the wire temp just right?

thanks,
Bart

Bart , I will measure the wire I use, as for power I use a variact transformer, , this way I can adjust the voltage depending on the heat needed, also you have to make sure you always have tension on the wire because as it heats up, it also expands.

Got the two pieces of hard board 24" X 48" and laid out the wing form with rib placement,
in the photos you will see the foam board was placed on the board but will be straightened out and glued in place , these are the ribs to be but before I start cutting, once these foam boards are glued in place, I will glue on top another 2X4 board to make a sandwich.
I didn't go any further, for today
Monday I plan on making the wing tube sockets out of fiberglass, and I will take pictures

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 593
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 603
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 592
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 587
  • j.jpg
    j.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 588
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 588
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 582

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool, I just got some braided sleeve to make wing tubes, but have never actually done it yet. I read a couple of threads and plan to try it soon. Curious what your method is.