• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

sparkx38;2307 wrote: Just let me know when and will be glad to help you.

Stacey, i need help in lining up the spar tube. the phenolic in the wing tube is dead on, and there is no play in it.

the stab tube phenolic, needs alignment in 2 planes, the coronal plane and the sagital plane (if i am allowed to use those terms here???).

i need to figure out a way to do this so it is dead on...

2357=1391-IMG_5895.jpg
2357=1391-IMG_5895.jpg
2357=1390-IMG_5896.jpg
2357=1390-IMG_5896.jpg

Cam, I made some "donuts" that were just slightly undersize that I slipped on the phenolic such that when pushed together kept the phenolic in whatever position is needed to get it straight, level and equal from front to back and up and down. I measure both the phenolic and the actual stab tube. Be sure and center the phenolic and tube before you add the glue. Once I got it lined up and working I put some hysol-type epoxy around the phenolic on the inside of the fuse and let it dry overnight.

Bobby, the donuts are made of balsa or plywood, or from same material as the phenolic? does it slide over it and then into the hole on the fuse? hard for me to conceptualize what you are describing. i think i understand. any pictures?

Sorry, they are made from lite ply and just fit over the outside of the phenolic. If you "undersize" them enough they will be tight and won't slip but yet will still be able to slip them onto the phenolic and hold.

i got it now!! thanks, that helps!!

so i can ca it on once i like the position. glue in the phenolic. wait a day or two,

then sand it down?

I would not use CA on the phenolic tube - use either 30 min or longer epoxy! There is a lot of vibration and shaking going on at the tail end. Besides the thick epoxy makes sure the little spaces between the phenolic and wood are filled!!

Dirt Doctor;2422 wrote: I would not use CA on the phenolic tube - use either 30 min or longer epoxy! There is a lot of vibration and shaking going on at the tail end. Besides the thick epoxy makes sure the little spaces between the phenolic and wood are filled!!

sorry Bobby, think i confused you too. i was not planning on using CA to glue the phenolic in!! well, i spoke to Tony and my friend Stacey came over, and we did indeed glue in the phenolics into the fuselage, and it came out perfect.!!!

this is what we did.

1st glued in the wing phenolic into the fuselage. cut off the excess. to get the glue there, we used the epoxy brushes. BTW, i used 30 minute Z-poxy mixed with great planes fiberglass powder.

then we placed the stab phenolic into its hole, and then we did multiple measurements. we want the tubes to be parallel in two planes.

the first plane is if you stand from behind and look at both tubes. the second plane would be if you look down at airplane from the ceiling, the two tubes need to be parallel.

so what we did:

we placed the wing tube into the phenolics, and measured from fuselage side to end of wing tube, on both sides, til they were equidistant. once this was done, we taped the tube to the fuselage side, so it can no longer slide in or out.

2672=1457-IMG_5898.jpg
2672=1457-IMG_5898.jpg

next, we centered the phenolic on the fuselage and marked the sides so we would know exactly where it had to be. (with the spar tube in it to keep it straight, just in case it could flex or be warped). we also protected the balsa with masking tape.,... this was a dry run...

we then glued in the phenolic, and placed a weight on the tail. we then made sure the stab was parallel to the wing tube when looking from behind it.

this is best done with a friend, since the next step requires measuring distance from wing tube to spar tube on both sides.

2749=1458-IMG_5899.jpg
2749=1458-IMG_5899.jpg
2749=1459-IMG_5900.jpg
2749=1459-IMG_5900.jpg

this is Stacey and I using a hemostat and pull pull cable to make sure the distance was the same on both sides. then minor adjustments were made, and i inserted small pieces of balsa to "shim it" into the right place.

once measurement was good, we waited, and every 5 minutes or so, we did a re-measure to make sure it was still equidistant.

2750=1460-IMG_5901.jpg
2750=1460-IMG_5901.jpg
2750=1461-IMG_5902.jpg
2750=1461-IMG_5902.jpg