• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

just finished gluing on the skins. this was not easy. in all the threads on Dalton builds, no one discusses how to actually do this step. reason is not easy is you have limited time, and you want to make sure you get glue on all contact surfaces from the fuselage to the balsa skin, and, at same time, you want to keep weight down and not put too much glue in there.

what i did was, with the skin to the side of the fuselage, i used a brush and the Titebond, to apply glue all the way the length of the top most aspect of the skin, which is actually on the bottom, since the fuselage is upside down.

then, using the brush, i applied glue to the fuselage side on the stringers (2 sets, one high one low), and then on the formers and all major surfaces.

then i applied the skin to the fuselage, and placed the side presses. did the other side, placed the side press, then used rubber bands to hold things to gather. this was not optimal in tail and F1 area, so i also used a clamp and then there was full contact. then, i modified the brush, so that it was on the end of a screwdriver. now, i went over again all the surfaces on both sides, to assure there was glue everywhere. took a good 1 hour or so to do. anyone else have a different or easier technique to do this?

1928=972-IMG_5884.jpg
1928=972-IMG_5884.jpg
1928=971-IMG_5885.jpg
1928=971-IMG_5885.jpg

I am stoked!!! the sheeting came out real nice!!! the top edge of the balsa sheeting lines up with the top stringer!!! no defects anywhere!!

trimmed the bottom as well from the bottom stringer.

next step is to sheet the gear plate area.

2007=993-IMG_5886.jpg
2007=993-IMG_5886.jpg
2007=994-IMG_5887.jpg
2007=994-IMG_5887.jpg
2007=995-IMG_5888.jpg
2007=995-IMG_5888.jpg
2007=996-IMG_5889.jpg
2007=996-IMG_5889.jpg
2007=997-IMG_5890.jpg
2007=997-IMG_5890.jpg
2007=998-IMG_5891.jpg
2007=998-IMG_5891.jpg
2007=999-IMG_5892.jpg
2007=999-IMG_5892.jpg

Bartman;1894 wrote: I've never done foam wings but I"ve used Titebond on lots of carpentry projects and even to fix the broken neck of a Gibson Les Paul! There aren't any issues with the balsa edges pulling apart?

What's the best option these days for adhering the sheeting to the foam once the balsa planks are joined up and sanded?

Thanks!

Bart

Hi Bart. I've never had any issues with the edges pulling apart. I love Titebond for almost all balsa to balsa joints. Much better than CA if you have to sand it.

As far as bonding the skins to the foam I use Elmers Ultimate Poly glue and lots of weight. For my next build I would love to use vacum bags and epoxy. I believe Terryscustom does his stuff that way.

Flatspinjim;2028 wrote: Hi Bart. I've never had any issues with the edges pulling apart. I love Titebond for almost all balsa to balsa joints. Much better than CA if you have to sand it.

As far as bonding the skins to the foam I use Elmers Ultimate Poly glue and lots of weight. For my next build I would love to use vacum bags and epoxy. I believe Terryscustom does his stuff that way.

i cheated, i asked Tony to sheet them for me. as i was reading all the threads and seeing how others did it, i saw that the experienced builders always did a great great job (with the poly-u glue), and they even did some coring of the foam to make it lighter and help it stop on the snaps. but on a few threads, i saw some others where it did not come out as good, and once i studied this and considered it, i decided to cheat and ask Tony to sheet them for me. So personally, i have yet to sheet the foam wings with this technique.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Flatspinjim;2028 wrote: Hi Bart. I've never had any issues with the edges pulling apart. I love Titebond for almost all balsa to balsa joints. Much better than CA if you have to sand it.

thanks for the info Jim. when i've used poly glues in carpentry, too much glue or too much moisture would cause the glue to really kick off and foam like crazy. what do you guys do, just lightly spritz with bonding surface of the balsa with a spray bottle?

I've got a Sig Kougar kit with foam wings on the shelf, maybe i'll have to finally get to building it while i keep trying to find a big Cap. Not a giant but an insane amount of fun o fly if you go big on the power.

Bart

Bartman;2060 wrote: thanks for the info Jim. when i've used poly glues in carpentry, too much glue or too much moisture would cause the glue to really kick off and foam like crazy. what do you guys do, just lightly spritz with bonding surface of the balsa with a spray bottle?

I've got a Sig Kougar kit with foam wings on the shelf, maybe i'll have to finally get to building it while i keep trying to find a big Cap. Not a giant but an insane amount of fun o fly if you go big on the power.

Bart

Those Kougar kits are awsome planes!

I apply the Poly glue on the balsa skin then use a squegee to spread it out evenly then spritz both the foam and the skin with a spray bottle. I've never had much problem with it foaming too much. I think the amount of weight on the shucks just makes it penetrate the foam instead of going out the sides and such.

orthobird;2054 wrote: i cheated, i asked Tony to sheet them for me. as i was reading all the threads and seeing how others did it, i saw that the experienced builders always did a great great job (with the poly-u glue), and they even did some coring of the foam to make it lighter and help it stop on the snaps. but on a few threads, i saw some others where it did not come out as good, and once i studied this and considered it, i decided to cheat and ask Tony to sheet them for me. So personally, i have yet to sheet the foam wings with this technique.

I cheated on my first Dalton and had Rob Joyner do my wings. I wanted them cored and that is above my capabiltys. Rob did an awesome job!