• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Delro 2.5M Raven Build

Wacobipe

100cc
The landing gear mount in the recessed slot in the bottom of the aircraft...these photos show both the inside of the fuse as it comes as well as the landing gear doubler that gives you something to bolt to. This doubler has been epoxied in, and there is a really neat structure to go with that but you'll have to wait 'til this epoxy dries so I can fit those reinforcement structures.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wacobipe

100cc
Also got,the wing tube roughed into the fuse as well today, need a bit of work to insure the rear of the fuse is supported and rigid so I can align the vertical stab and and the wing tube precisely!

image.jpg

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Looks great. I'm not sure if you've worked much with the composites, but make sure you really skuff up the surface of the parts you're going to Hysol together.

Also, you may want to wash the fuse in a shower/bathtub before you try to glue much in it. I'm sure the PVA is still on the fuse and you need to wash that off before you stuff the parts, or you'll have PVA in the joints, which is mold release.

Jlc

70cc twin V2
Looks great. I'm not sure if you've worked much with the composites, but make sure you really skuff up the surface of the parts you're going to Hysol together.

Also, you may want to wash the fuse in a shower/bathtub before you try to glue much in it. I'm sure the PVA is still on the fuse and you need to wash that off before you stuff the parts, or you'll have PVA in the joints, which is mold release.
I hope my wife doesn't catch me in the shower with my fuselage. She already thinks I spend too much time with it.

Wacobipe

100cc

Thanks...never considered the mold release...but have been busy scuffing away!

Wacobipe

100cc
A quick question for all you aerodynamic experts out there...the Raven comes with no directions... the wing main wing tube (spar) and rear anti-rotation pins are molded into the fuse (also the wing fairings are molded in so there is no adjustment on wing position) so placement is easy. The horizontal stab main tube location is molded in but the anti-rotation pin location is not. I am about to propose my plan but want to hear from others on their thoughts for incidence of wing and tail...

My plan is to use the wing incidence as the datum (master measurement). My plan it to set the wing at a positive 0.5 degree of incidence (counters gravity)...and from that have the horizontal stab and the engine crankshaft each at 0.0 degree incidence. In other words, the fuse, engine, and tail will be at ZERO incidence angle with the wing at a Positive (upward) 0.5 degrees of incidence.

Note there will be a right leaning angle to the motor to counter torque...this angle is molded into the cowl where it meets the spinner.

My understanding is this setup gives you the upward lift needed to support the plane (symmetrical wing) and doing so at the wing (CG) means throttle changes don't change the pitch. Alternately, setting the wing at zero and the tail at a positive (or using elevator trim to accomplish the same) changes with every throttle setting.

Thoughts everyone?

Last edited: