• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Delro 2.5M Raven Build

Wacobipe

100cc
I think it's gonna be pretty simple Alky6...I'll just cut 2 flat plates that slide into the opposing surfaces, and overlap in the middle where the bearings seat and the rod runs through it for each hinge point...The most important point to me is that this system will allow me to have the control surface seated into the flight surface and have a cover that extends beyond the back edge of the flight surface like full scale...and also giving me a hinge gap seal by default (and also making the hinges/gap much less visible.

I'll create the extensions on the rear of the flight surfaces by cutting thin composite sheet into a strip...I'll router a recess in for this sheet to sit on the rear of the surface...and allow it to extend out beyond the rear hiding the gap. Once I fiberglass the whole wing/tail you'll never know I made the mod!

Wacobipe

100cc
I got a bit of time to work on the Raven today :woohoo!:

I am waiting for parts for the control surfaces so I can't do much there but figured I could get the landing gear mounted without too much trouble (I don't generally do ARF's so it seems VERY STRANGE to be starting a build with the landing gear :)). the axle design supplied by Delro is one of the best axle/wheel pant designs I've ever seen so I wanted to share it with you.

The design is that the axle is essentially a 6mm bolt/rod...nothing special there, but there are also 2 aluminum collars that go inside the wheel pants. One of these collars is threaded and holds the wheel pant to the axle (and also the landing gear leg), while the other is smooth and just allows the axle to slide into it. These will get epoxied to the inside of the wheel pants. This allows the wheel pants/axle/wheel to be removed from the landing gear leg with one bolt! Pretty slick design and it also supports the wheel pant quite securely. I think I'll add one small pin above the axle to act as an anti-rotation pin but other than that I think this is the best wheel pant mounting system, I've ever seen!

Axles-Wheel_Pants (1).JPGAxles-Wheel_Pants (3).JPGAxles-Wheel_Pants (2).JPGAxles-Wheel_Pants (4).JPGAxles-Wheel_Pants (5).JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That is a cool setup! I think next year I'm going to have to invest in a small mill and lathe do mess with some metal parts.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Interesting, I do like the idea of the support on the outside of the pant. I think I'm going to add a support in the wheel pants on my scratch build since the pants are so big for the size of the plane. 13.25" on a 50cc airplane.

Wacobipe

100cc
Interesting, I do like the idea of the support on the outside of the pant. I think I'm going to add a support in the wheel pants on my scratch build since the pants are so big for the size of the plane. 13.25" on a 50cc airplane.
Yeah...I think this is actually huge...one of the reasons pants can be problematic is they have no support so any little hit tries to rip the pant off the single point of contact. With this system ( those are 6mm - close to 1/4") The pant has support inboard and outboard so I think it will be much more durable.

Wacobipe

100cc
I drooled over wheels from White Rose Engineering and other very expensive options...in the end I decided Dubro's with the foam core/rubber skin would work just fine and leave $80 in my pocket ( I must be ill, I never make the fiscally responsible decision).

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I drooled over wheels from White Rose Engineering and other very expensive options...in the end I decided Dubro's with the foam core/rubber skin would work just fine and leave $80 in my pocket ( I must be ill, I never make the fiscally responsible decision).

I'm doing the same. I don't always fly off of great surfaces and can use a little terrain cushioning. I bet we can find a use for that $80!

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Hey Wacobipe!

I'm glad to see you putting one of these together. I have one that was built by Delro themselves and will be flying it in IMAC for the 2015 season. I'm flying the 3.1M version.

I'm also located not too far from you, in Greensboro NC. Also, Volgelsang Aeroscale is the dealer/importer for all Delro products in North America now, and they are located in Chapelhil NC!

I haven't been on the web much the last two-three months due to work and time, but feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.

This plane flys extremely well even on a 150/cans. Actually, I'm using a DA150 and canister setup in the one I have and fly Unlimited.

Last edited: