• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLA Engines

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well that sux now that you customized your plane to fit that engine. And you had just gotten the engine and now they send the "updated" one, :oblong:. Guess it's up to you and if you have any obligation to them for what you are doing. I won't be telling you to fly lower like normal though:dancing-poop:.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It sounds that DLA is making every effort to make a quality quad. This is in itself no easy task. The cranks are the main issues in almost all quads. I would not surrender just yet. The JMB stuff is really expensive and there is no other quads in this class that I know about.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well that sux now that you customized your plane to fit that engine. And you had just gotten the engine and now they send the "updated" one, :oblong:. Guess it's up to you and if you have any obligation to them for what you are doing. I won't be telling you to fly lower like normal though:dancing-poop:.
No obligations. Was just something I wanted to do cuz it was different. Retrofitting the firewall for my other new 111 with Bowman's will be a breeze. It stands ready... and the PAU performs well with it's 111 up front. I've just gotten so discouraged over the last month. First it was the ign. module, then the exhaust. The replacement exhaust was worse than the first. After the launched crank, front bearing and everything else, I've just really lost my enthusiasm.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I'm offering the opportunity for everyone to toss an opinion my way.

I've had some set backs on the DLA 128 and have become very undecided on my next move.

Though Lee from Golden Skies has been beyond supportive in every respect of the issues with this motor... and the DLA factory "REALLY" stepped up big time, I just don't have the warm and fuzziness as I did when this venture began.

In short, the 128 tossed a crank and front bearing. There are other issues, but suffice it to say, the motor has gone way south.

The factory has already sent a brand new and updated 128. I've looked it over extremely well. Unlike the first one, it turns over very smooth and friction free. Updated crank, updated cylinders, and I believe the front hub has been massaged. So!!!!

That being said, do I put this replacement motor on the Edge, or swallow my pride and take my lumps and move on?

All your opinions matter.
My vote is for the updated quad.

thurmma

150cc
I say run the quad. I would do some extensive run ups on the ground before throwing it in the air just to make sure everything is going to stay in one piece. You say that it feels much better than the original, so I would give it a shot. You have already put all of the time in to get to this point, why not give it a shot. If you decide not to, I will store it for you :)

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

It sucks that you're having so much trouble with your new quad, but I'm glad you're being treated right while trying to get the problems resolved. I agree with @thurmma on this one. Then if the new one fails, call Gerhard and order a 110CS for the edge. . . . . . .:yesss:. Just kidding. I hope you get everything worked out and your Edge flying soon.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I say run the quad. I would do some extensive run ups on the ground before throwing it in the air just to make sure everything is going to stay in one piece. You say that it feels much better than the original, so I would give it a shot. You have already put all of the time in to get to this point, why not give it a shot. If you decide not to, I will store it for you :)
Not sure run ups on the ground would be wise. That's where it failed.:lol2: Hmmm...maybe just bolt it on and fly the piss outta it. :spongebob:
I promise to let you store it Mark if it gets to that point. You just want to play with my motor huh?:laughing:
Hey Rob,

It sucks that you're having so much trouble with your new quad, but I'm glad you're being treated right while trying to get the problems resolved. I agree with @thurmma on this one. Then if the new one fails, call Gerhard and order a 110CS for the edge. . . . . . .:yesss:. Just kidding. I hope you get everything worked out and your Edge flying soon.
I think that bolting the updated motor on is at least worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen? It also fails as the first one and @Kevin-Young friend. I will just bolt on the sister 111 like the PAU.:yesss:

thurmma

150cc
Yes Rob, I want to play with your engine :) I am sure I can find something to put it on....Extra 330SC that I was just getting ready to test fly until I went to turn the engine over to go to tdc before putting prop on and heard grinding :( Didn't see any dirt in the snorkel, carb or exhaust while rebuilding the landing gear section, so I figured it was ok. Guess I should have at least tried to turn it over so I would have known to pull the jugs before buttoning everything up and then finding it out :)

I really hope this one works for you. Sounds like the manufacture is really working with you to get it figured out. That is a good thing :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yes Rob, I want to play with your engine :) I am sure I can find something to put it on....Extra 330SC that I was just getting ready to test fly until I went to turn the engine over to go to tdc before putting prop on and heard grinding :( Didn't see any dirt in the snorkel, carb or exhaust while rebuilding the landing gear section, so I figured it was ok. Guess I should have at least tried to turn it over so I would have known to pull the jugs before buttoning everything up and then finding it out :)

I really hope this one works for you. Sounds like the manufacture is really working with you to get it figured out. That is a good thing :)
Dang, I hate it when that happens. Hopefully nothing is seriously amiss with your motor.
The DLA factory has indeed been nothing short of amazing. I have to give full credit to Lee Shantz of Golden Skies though. He Skyped with Emily from DLA and the next thing I knew a brand new shiny updated 128 was sent my way. I really fought the first one. But between DLA and Golden Skies, they're making it right. Lee suggested trying the new 128. If it too has problems or I just do not like it, no questions, no worries. He guaranteed a full refund. Not that anyone wouldn't like a 4 banger on their ride, right?! So, an hour to bolt the replacement on, rebaffle the motor...start and fly. I'll give it one more try.