• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Something else that is going to make this build a little easier. My son just set up one hell of a nice air compressor with paint system attached. We are going to try our luck at shooting the Wings West paint from a paint gun. Only thing that worries me is, if I go this route I will need to glass the entire fuselage. And you all know how I seem to add extra weight to my aircraft. I don't know what I do differently but weight is definitely going to be a focal point for me on this one.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have done all my planes at ten with the stits paint system and it is the easiest and the best paint I have ever used. And let me tell you it does not have to be heavy.
Will get into this later in the build in detail. But just in short use 3/4 oz cloth, put it on almost dry with west epoxy and do the final weave filling with the white stuff you fix drywall with just cannot think of the name and sand it back down to the cloth and then paint.
One question is it a bubble canopy or a raiser back

WMcNabb

150cc
Several books shown below. Consider the library open for your use.
IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1034.JPG IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1036.JPG IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1041.JPG

Also purchased a super scale 1/32 model to use as reference.
IMG_1032.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
One question is it a bubble canopy or a raiser back

Niiiiiice...! I'll be sure to renew my library card. Thanks so much!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

If you are going full bore scale with your big Stang, I have access to a full scale restored P-51D about 45 minutes from my house. If you need any detail pictures, I'd be glad to get them for you. I can get pictures of anything you need as long as I can get it from the ground (I am not able to climb on the plane). . . . . . :big_yes: Just give me the word and I'll go on a field trip for you. I'm always looking for excuses to visit the museum so I'll be more than happy to go. . . . . :way_to_go:.

Now hurry up and get that Velox done. . . . . :laughing:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

If you are going full bore scale with your big Stang, I have access to a full scale restored P-51D about 45 minutes from my house. If you need any detail pictures, I'd be glad to get them for you. I can get pictures of anything you need as long as I can get it from the ground (I am not able to climb on the plane). . . . . . :big_yes: Just give me the word and I'll go on a field trip for you. I'm always looking for excuses to visit the museum so I'll be more than happy to go. . . . . :way_to_go:.

That's pretty awesome of you David. I greatly appreciate your offer. However, The Warhawk Air Museum is about 8 minutes from my door step. There lives a Stang and a P40. Both fully restored and flyable. At the Boise airport 8 minutes the other direction from home lives a beautiful "D". Also fully restored and flyable. Rivets, markings and hatches should be no problem to duplicate. I don't know how detailed I will go yet. But with the onset of a lot of detail parts being 3d printed, good chance I can scale the crap outta this bad boy without adding too much weight. I'm always so concerned with weight and inadvertently extra weight just seems to jump off me...and directly onto my planes. Lol

WMcNabb

150cc
Hey Rob,

That's pretty awesome of you David. I greatly appreciate your offer. However, The Warhawk Air Museum is about 8 minutes from my door step. There lives a Stang and a P40. Both fully restored and flyable. At the Boise airport 8 minutes the other direction from home lives a beautiful "D". Also fully restored and flyable. Rivets, markings and hatches should be no problem to duplicate. I don't know how detailed I will go yet. But with the onset of a lot of detail parts being 3d printed, good chance I can scale the crap outta this bad boy without adding too much weight. I'm always so concerned with weight and inadvertently extra weight just seems to jump off me...and directly onto my planes. Lol

I think both of you should share photos of these awesome full scale versions with those of us who aren’t as lucky!