• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

Ok, I like to do something a bit different. I like to add the root caps 1st, meaning, glue them to the foam, then, sheet the stab, so that, the sheeting captures the root cap, and thus, increases the pull out strength. (of the root cap from the foam).

Additionally, I like to glue on the root cap to the foam, with it attached to the fuselage, so that I can assure that the root cap will have a uniform intimate contact with the fuselage, once it is all said and done. I can shim the area between the foam and root cap if need be, no biggie, since the balsa sheeting will bypass this.

I will do fuse #2 first, then do fuselage #1.

Once both stabs have been done, then i can sand the root cap flush with the foam, and then sheet the stabs.

Once both airplanes stabs are sheeted, I will then place the LE and TE to both sets of stabs and wings, then, I will need my friend, to help me set the incidence.

IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG

Dave Dixon, on the other forum, has a build thread, and on it, he had a word file for an outline of the root caps. I was able to down load it, and make my own root caps, using this Finnish aircraft quality plywood.

IMG_2045.JPG

capthis

70cc twin V2
Yes you do Cappy, any time! Let me build these two and that MX 2, then its all yours!

HeHe Jeff Williams has two systems and he doesn't build anymore so I got one a little closer to me! :)

I have some Foam wings to sheet one of these days just have to get to them.

Plus who are you kidding if you think you're not going to keep building airplanes after you get that MX2 finished! LOL YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

capthis

70cc twin V2
Well, hopefully I will not be landing them in trees!! If I do, man, it is going to get real expensive....

Flying RC can be expensive..... Women and Liquor can be expensiver! LOL

Please tell me you have both a good scroll saw and a really good band saw? If not that needs to be your next purchase!!! :) I never knew how much I would use a band saw until I got a good one. It's the greatest tool ever for making pieces like you just showed!

Yes, sir, I have a band saw, but, I will demonstrate, right here, for your viewing pleasure, an easier way (and safer way) to cut out the surfaces. That will be maybe next week or so. I also have these incredibly sharp Japanese wood saws. They are very thin, flexible, and sharp.

The women and liquor part, I totally agree, and, they go hand in hand.

Well, the bottom rear deck is done.

IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG

Just now, I inspected the root cap's adhesion to the foam, and it came out great! That is for bird #2. Then, I placed the stabs for Bird#1, and they are currently getting cured, the root caps to the foam.

Once those are done, then I will sand the root caps flush with the foam, and start working on sheeting them.

yes, but tricky!
I am doing it now.

The stab has to be down side down, so the tab would be on the table. It does not clear the bottom shuck. SO, I got a piece of foam, same shape as the stab, with enough thickness to elevate it off the table, and then put the whole thing in the bag.

capthis

70cc twin V2
Cam, I been siphering on your idea of your root rib and and the sheeting over it to ad strength. A person could also do it the conventional way sheet first then ad root which seems to me would be easier? And if you were concerned about strength you could ad an inch strip of fiberglass cloth with some Z-Poxy to hold it all together.

I've always put the root rib on after sheeting and I've yet to have one separate. I do agree sheeting over it would be stronger but I think the fiberglass cloth would be just as strong and not to hard to blend in before covering?

Just thinking out loud :).