Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by orthobird, Mar 18, 2016.

1. @Rusty 73

Here is a link of the 180 while on re3's.

It is fun!

2. Pistolera

Pistolera HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!

Aircraft engines have been baffled and cooled like this for ages.....nothing new.

3. Krzy4RC

Krzy4RC GSN Contributor

What's new is we now have real time sensors and everyone sharing this info confirms and improves our knowledge of the aircraft. The cooling effectiveness and signal quality are just the most obvious and interesting.

Rusty 73 and thurmma like this.
  4. Pistolera

Pistolera HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!

Agree....I was just referring to the baffle design. Basic aircooled engine stuff that goes way back.

5. I have notice is some guys just put a horizontal baffle along the cylinders and don't redirect the air over the cylinders to force the air down over the case .

Agree, nothing new about full size air cooled engines beening baffled not everyone baffle RC engines the same .
    Orthobird has a fiber glass piece that redirects the air down over the DA 200 engine so the Telemtry sensor provide more accurate cylinder temps. :attaboy:

6. The Cockpit of the REDBULL Edge 540 , point out the engine performance gauges altitude radio and compass .
    Worth watching .

7. Great video of your iMac flying the Intermediate sequence , that ZDZ really does pull with the three bladed falcon prop RE3 pipes.

You have a beautiful field and your son did a good job video taping your flight .:too-cool:

thurmma likes this.
  8. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    One question with all this baffling. Everyone is installing a horizontal plate to force the air over top and then down and to cool the back cylinders. Then why are the fins on the heads not vertical so that the can flow over the heads and down. With fins running horizontal it blocks off the air.???? On the hottest part.

9. Good point you have mentioned this before .:too-cool:
    The Lycoming engines have vertical fins as seen in Redbull video, like you said which cools off the hottest part near the head .

I guess we should have seperate ducts to prodvide cool to the top of the engines.
    I haven't seen anyone do this yet but if you run a fence vertically from the horizontal baffle you can provide airflow towards the heads for better cooling.
    Won't be all that hard to due :I_agree:

thurmma and Snoopy1 like this.
  10. orthobird

orthobird 150cc

Maiden of two Cardens is complete

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    ProfilePilot, Alky6, WMcNabb and 6 others like this.