• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Eflite Beast 60e

Forgot to program the castle ESC before heading to the field today, so no maiden.
Good news was that we all verified the gyro is setup correctly, so maybe a mid-week lunchtime maiden will happen.

See, that's why you need a ZTW Gecko. Actually, I don't know much about CC. I guess they're discontinuing the ICE line? Are people switching from the ubiquitous ICE Lite to EDGE Lite? Thanks.

gyro

GSN Contributor
See, that's why you need a ZTW Gecko. Actually, I don't know much about CC. I guess they're discontinuing the ICE line? Are people switching from the ubiquitous ICE Lite to EDGE Lite? Thanks.

I have the GECKO in my 60" Laser, it's awesome!

The edge is the new CC controller replacing the Ice line. There were both some physical and programming changes, but it seems there are still some bugs getting worked out at this time.

G

I have the GECKO in my 60" Laser, it's awesome!

The edge is the new CC controller replacing the Ice line. There were both some physical and programming changes, but it seems there are still some bugs getting worked out at this time.

G

Ok, thanks. That's good to know

Gyro.........If you flew the Beast this weekend what Talon 90 settings did you use? I have the same motor and esc.
Richard

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gyro.........If you flew the Beast this weekend what Talon 90 settings did you use? I have the same motor and esc.
Richard

I honestly used all the default settings that come up in the castle link software, they all worked fine...

That said, I was very underwhelmed with the ar635 as3x rx. It was difficult to program, and while it did a great job of correcting out all the wind gusts and such, it also seemed to mute the 3D performance... And even made the plane unpredictable in some flight regimes. Maybe it's my programming, maybe it's because it's a big bipe, or maybe I just messed something up, but I didn't care for it. Look for it in the classifieds soon if you want one.

Otherwise, all the other equipment worked well. Performance on the 4320-450kv with an 18-8 was more than adequate, and there was plenty of power to get out of trouble. HOWEVER, I'm used to obscene power on electrics, and I want more! Since the battery was all the way forward and the CG was nice, I'm going to upgrade to the 4325-420kv with an 18x10, (and a beefy 125a Gecko ESC!) and scoot the battery back some to see what that gets me! :D

Additionally, I'll be looking to sell this bare plane and a few of the components after the review is complete, so if you're interested, let me know.

Bivens

50cc
Sounds like you may like a Demon Cortex instead of that As3x. I've got a couple and have been very happy there...if a good 3D capable plane gyro is what you are after.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sounds like you may like a Demon Cortex instead of that As3x. I've got a couple and have been very happy there...if a good 3D capable plane gyro is what you are after.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I've been eyeballing them for a while. I only bought the as3x to try since that is what Seth used in the promotional video for this airplane. I'll try it next with a regular RX and a little more oomph first. :)

Gyro.....it is possible that more power is available from your current motor.I don't think the Talon defaults are the way to go. Having said that I am going to take a look at the Gecko esc since I do not like the 5.8 volts that the Talon outputs on the 6.0 setting. Also the Talon default requires you to throttle up before each flight to learn your Tx's wot. Fixed throttle end points for throttle are available. I would also try a Xoar or Falcon wood 18x8e prop.

If there is anyone that has this moror esc combo with actual flight experience please post your setups.
Richard

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gyro.....it is possible that more power is available from your current motor.I don't think the Talon defaults are the way to go. Having said that I am going to take a look at the Gecko esc since I do not like the 5.8 volts that the Talon outputs on the 6.0 setting. Also the Talon default requires you to throttle up before each flight to learn your Tx's wot. Fixed throttle end points for throttle are available. I would also try a Xoar or Falcon wood 18x8e prop.

If there is anyone that has this moror esc combo with actual flight experience please post your setups.
Richard

Hey Richard,

Of course it's possible that I might be able to squeeze a little more power out... but since I have the option to move up, I'm going to do it.
I've had the talon 90 on stock settings with 4315 and it's been awesome, so I'm not sure the settings were hurting anything. Fwiw, I had fixed endpoints programmed, and they worked fine.

As for my actual flight experience, it was definitely adequate, but not insane.

OK.....Gyro I understand. I'm no esc settings wonk, I just want the Beast to act like my EF 64 MXS! 4325 might be the way to go. Should solve the cg issue anyway. I moved my motor forward a bit to solve that.
Richard