• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Engine Running -> Wings On / Wings Off?

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Wings on, wings off... sorry, couldn't resist... :)

the-karate-kid-1984-movie-clip-screenshot-wax-on-wax-off_large.jpg

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
OK, this is deep, but here goes ->
If I put the wings on, and don't start the engine, is there still vibration?

Now this one has been plaguing me for awhile;
If a man is walking in the woods, and there's no woman around, is he still WRONG :black-eye:

Seems like it depends on what the weak link in your airframe is. Wings off has higher natural roll resonance frequency, might match better to engine vibrations. Wings on lowers frequency, might match better to engine vibrations. Wings off results in higher amplitude motion of the airframe on the planes I own and have watched, but I don't know if that means more stress or not for anything other than the gear and whatever else is holding the airframe. Wings on adds more vibe time on the wings. Certainly wings off is rougher on your ears (and your hands if you are physically holding the airframe). Don't know that I have ever been able to trace an airframe problem to engine vibrations on the ground from either configuration. But since it is more comfortable wings on, and since they have been developed to operate wings on, that would appear to be the most sensible way to go.