• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight 104 Extra 300

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I guess the main LG has a bit of forward rake to it? Can't really tell from pictures on this thread and the EF assembly instructions don't provide the orientation..............

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Yes it does. The main cross section has an ever so slight "twist" to it (at least mine does) so it does not look symmetrical. But once I tightened it down all looked good.

I noticed the same thing. I placed it on the fuse both ways and picked the one that placed the wheels more forward. I noticed that the gear where the axles go was not angled correctly on one side. This was still an issue all bolted down. I didn't make a big deal out of it since I don't spend a whole lot of time on the wheels and I doubt I'll notice it. It does bug me though. They should both have the same angle with respect to the fuse centerline. One angles out.

The only other thing I noticed was the gear legs are pretty thin down near the wheels. I hope they don't break. No harrier landings that's for sure.

Mine is getting close. I just need to cut the cowling and install the fuel lines between the engine and tank. Also bolt up the mufflers and install ignition.

Last edited:

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
EF has some build videos on their site under the "multimedia" button.

Video #2 has the fuse assembly. The LG does have one straight edge and one edge that has about a 10 degree taper to it. If you lay the gear flat on both edges you can easily tell the flat side. The flat side faces forward.

mjg0808

50cc
So I was giving my plane a once over this weekend before I flew and noticed the vertical stab was moving where it meets the turtle deck....Not good. So, one thing led to another and before I knew it, I had the fuse stripped. This Was a good thing. I was able to check the whole fuse and found a couple of stringers and cross braces loose. 2 ribs in the vertical stab were broken and some of the sheeting was cracked. Also a crack along the bottom of the motor box. Well... The motor box got some fiberglass work done. I used some light ply to serve as a doubler for the ribs in the vertical stab. The fuse got much needed glue on all of it's joints and I even epoxied the rudder hinges from the inside.. Didn't look like anything was there. I recovered the fuse to make it a little different. I didn't want to make it look the same. I won't win any covering contests as far as schemes go but it sure will do the job. NO I'm getting an itch to build a kit....Damn this hobby!! So here's pics. 20150125_004222392_iOS.jpg 20150125_011001271_iOS.jpg 20150125_011056844_iOS.jpg 20150125_011727185_iOS.jpg 20150125_145647720_iOS.jpg 20150125_040524097_iOS.jpg 20150125_202442538_iOS.jpg 20150125_202545800_iOS.jpg 20150126_024309954_iOS.jpg 20150126_024401862_iOS.jpg 20150126_030351997_iOS 1.jpg 20150126_052611099_iOS.jpg

mjg0808

50cc
Here's 2 of the red stripe cut on an angle. This was a figure it out what I wanted to do as I was doing it kind of covering job. LOL
20150126_025530709_iOS.jpg 20150126_025610022_iOS.jpg

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
I noticed the same thing. I placed it on the fuse both ways and picked the one that placed the wheels more forward. I noticed that the gear where the axles go was not angled correctly on one side. This was still an issue all bolted down. I didn't make a big deal out of it since I don't spend a whole lot of time on the wheels and I doubt I'll notice it. It does bug me though. They should both have the same angle with respect to the fuse centerline. One angles out.

The only other thing I noticed was the gear legs are pretty thin down near the wheels. I hope they don't break. No harrier landings that's for sure.

Mine is getting close. I just need to cut the cowling and install the fuel lines between the engine and tank. Also bolt up the mufflers and install ignition.
Harrier landings have become my new "thing" this past year or so. I'm sure the OEM gear is fine for those with more skill than I. However, I've noticed on my 91" Extra, which has seen the majority of my harrier landings, the stock gear has started to delaminate in spots. It's still functioning, but will need to be changed soon. What I did was have Tom at TNT make me two sets of aluminum replacement gear, one for my flying plane and one for my back-up. I think this will be the ticket.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
@mjg0808
Don't fly mine all that often or as hard as others do but I do like to get crazy with it every so often.
Nice inspection! How much time on it?

mjg0808

50cc
@49dimes
Thank you. I've got around 20-25 gallons. It has been flown hard and was do for a really good inspection. I bought the airframe used a year ago from someone so who knows what he put it through. I fitted it out with all new gear. I've had a hard time with the stabs/elevators. I'm currently on my 3rd set. 1st set that came with the plane had so much flutter the elevators partially ripped out and cracked the stabs. 2nd new set, the right counterbalance ripped off. Now I'm on the 3rd set and so far so good. I think after this, I'll have all the bugs worked out. Hopefully!!! Going to order a new tail wheel tonight too...

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Harrier landings have become my new "thing" this past year or so. I'm sure the OEM gear is fine for those with more skill than I. However, I've noticed on my 91" Extra, which has seen the majority of my harrier landings, the stock gear has started to delaminate in spots. It's still functioning, but will need to be changed soon. What I did was have Tom at TNT make me two sets of aluminum replacement gear, one for my flying plane and one for my back-up. I think this will be the ticket.

Just landing has become my new "thing". lol Good to see you having challenges as myself. Like @JoeAirPort said...stock gear is too thin at the bottoms. When I first started the "ARF" thing I always threw out the stock gear and cowl and got TNT and Fiberglass Specialties. Was "Good Stuff".