• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 104 Extra

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sub'd. New owner of a red, black, and white. So stoked right now!

Congrats Dwight! Since you were at BG for the demo flights, I know you know what these planes can do!
What setup are you going with?

I just ordered some checker rips for my wings from B&E, and plan to start the build this weekend. :D

Diggity

70cc twin V2
I bought it from a buddy. Its got everything but the motor. It has a smartfly board, rx, and Savox 2270. I might splurge on a da120. But I do love my dle111 in my 104 slick. So I'm trying to justify paying $1200 for a da or $700 for a dle

gyro

GSN Contributor
I bought it from a buddy. Its got everything but the motor. It has a smartfly board, rx, and Savox 2270. I might splurge on a da120. But I do love my dle111 in my 104 slick. So I'm trying to justify paying $1200 for a da or $700 for a dle

Don't rule out the GP 123 as an option either. :D

I picked up a used DA120 for mine

RotorJockey

70cc twin V2

I definitely know where you're coming from. I absolutely LOVED my DLE-111 as well! I flew it for a couple of years, but I reluctantly sold it with a 104" Slick last year.

When I started my next 100cc project, I again wrestled with the price vs performance issue and could the extra 9cc really make a difference I could even notice much less appreciate. Plus the extra cost for mufflers I considered a rip-off.

But I decided that since I had some extra cash that I'd go ahead and try a DA-120 and OH MY GOSH!!! I get it now! For me, the DA-120 is definitely worth the extra cost. The first time you get in a jam and need power to get out of it, you'll understand too.

Another selling point, I had an issue when I moved my first DA-120 from the crashed AW Edge over to my 104" Slick. I had an issue where I couldn't get over 4000 rpm on the high end. Twisted and twisted on the needles with no result. So I called DA. I immediately got a technician who spoke American English who told me to check the plug orientation on the sensor. Sure enough, I had plugged it in backwards. Duhhh... Point being, excellent customer service from someone you can understand. Also, if you EVER have to have the engine worked on due to a crash or after the warranty is up, all it will cost you is shipping and parts. With DA, the labor is free.

I now have 2 DA-120's one in a EF 104" Extra and one in a 3DHS 104" Slick.

That being said, when I bought my EF Extra at the Bowling Green event, Chris told me that they recommend the 120, but the 111 would fly this plane just fine.

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great info and advice Fred.

Btw, just ordered a 50oz fuel tank from WrongWayRC.

I've had two fourtitude tanks with bad o rings lately, not taking chances on my big bird.

A DA100 would fly this plane great so a DA120 is just insane power. I have been flying my EF 110 Yak with an old style DA100 for years and never starved for power. This plane is probably a pound or two lighter and certainly does not have the parasitic drag of the Yak.
Jeff

Diggity

70cc twin V2
Great advice guys! I will keep you posted on what I decide. I would assume that the 32oz fortitude would be enough? That's what I'm using on my 104 slick and get 12 min flight times with between 1/4 and 1/2 left in the tank