• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

Are you saying you spin a DLE 35 up to 9500 rpms?

This is not my setup. 2 locals have this and that is the RPM number I seem to remember. I asked one of them and he can't remember either. Maybe it was in the mid to high 8k range which makes more sense in the calculator. I will get a reading once we are back flying outdoors again.

More snow in the forecast for tomorrow. We get good temps later in the week, but no place to fly with all the snow. It will melt and make ice sheets on the few paved places we can go.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
If it helps at all... I got 8k on the ground on the stock muffler and a xoar 19x8 beech wood. I am at about 2600 ASL.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is on a 20x7 props. I do know that it is ridiculous power, but the ES pipe and header is pretty pricey. For some reason I don't think I have gotten to fly either one with the pipe. I flew [MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION] 's plane, but I think it was on stock setup at the time.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
19x8 85g prop at 2600 ft ASL and 40 degrees with a 30% humidity at 8000 RPMs will develop 2.8 HP and 19.6 pounds of thrust.

A 20x7 at about 90g at the same 8000 RPMs will do 3.0 HP and 20.7 pounds, and at 8500, will do 3.6 HP and 24.87 pounds of thrust.

Move the altitude down to Wellington Hill at 570 ft, and you get 3.61 HP and 24.89 pounds. Sounds like ridiculous power to me on the 78. Not sure of the weight of those props, but it sounds about right. My 20x10 Xoar beech is 99.5g.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Right now I am running a 20x8 xoar sword. I don't have an rpm number and the spool up is noticeably slower but I found that I actually like it how it is as my hovers and harrier look much smoother. I'll try and get an rpm number for it. Now I am wanting to try a 20x7. Sounds like I might get more power and with the extra rpms might not notice a speed change.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
You can use the PropEngine for gas props too as long as you know the material of the prop... beechwood or wood laminate, composite, carbon fiber, etc. It works well as it is now, and the output is accurate, especially if you know the RPMs because you just move the Kv up or down until you match the RPM display with your measured number. The newer version, which I will deploy in maybe a month, will be easier to use with gas engines because I now have a way -- thanks to Pe's suggestion and ability to pinpoint the issue -- to calculate pK. I also have a way to calculate Kv efficiency because of size and RPM load (rotational mass and angular momentum) so using this for gas prop comparisons will be even easier..
Glad to hear this Jim because I like your program for electric and I have already messed with just what you said, by playing with the Kv you can dial in the rpm's. I was just never sure it was accurate so good to know. You really did a great job with this

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Thanks, but as you know, a lot of guys helped verify these calculations and you contributed too, and hopefully will continue when the weather breaks. Also, Pe was instrumental in feeding me aspects of prop physics and I think he would have enjoyed where things have lead.

AKfreak

150cc
Well I am a EF owner now. I had a Green 64" MSX fall in to my lap today. Extra Fuse, rudder, ele, CF landing gear, plus an Aeroworks CF tail wheel for $175. I could not pass it up. Now I need Servos, a Motor, and esc, I have an RX. Let the home work begin. Whats a Motorfly motor that stomps on the Torque - 4016T/500 VII that's the proper wight for my plane?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well I am a EF owner now. I had a Green 64" MSX fall in to my lap today. Extra Fuse, rudder, ele, CF landing gear, plus an Aeroworks CF tail wheel for $175. I could not pass it up. Now I need Servos, a Motor, and esc, I have an RX. Let the home work begin. Whats a Motorfly motor that stomps on the Torque - 4016T/500 VII that's the proper wight for my plane?

4315-480 with a 16x7/8, or a 4315-500 on 15x7/8

Prepare for obscene power