• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA CLARIFICATIONS...... What's legal.......What aint ???????

I forgot to mention that congressmen, lobbyists and bureaucrats are also involved, so the eventual outcome is both far away and unpredictable.

wesley.

70cc twin V2
CatalinaWOW said
I forgot to mention that congressmen, lobbyists and bureaucrats are also involved, so the eventual outcome is both far away and unpredictable.
No what that really means is whoever pays the most money gets the rules the way they want them!

Like I said, unpredictable and slow.  It takes a while to find who the bidders are and who has the most money.  Often there is a last minute dark horse.  Also, it is hard to figure which money flows matter.  Does the advertising revenue of the networks which depends on fearmongering trump the lobbyists for the nascent UAV industry?  Since Lockheed and Northrup-Grumman are some of the players it isn't that obvious who wins.  Does a favor for a 100,000 strong hobby organization buy more votes than you can buy with the contributions of other bidders?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Yeah, he would like to fly it up to 2 miles away, the thing is quite big (I don't know much about it, but it is cool) anyway it is not a quad it is about 3 feet in diameter and has 6 or 8 rotors, and has a landing gear that folds up so as not to show on the camera, and from what I understand , it has an attachment on his DX18 to extend the range.

But noo way will you see it at a mile, much less 2 miles. (WLOS)

the attachment on the DX18 transmitter is probably a UHF RC system, it takes the commands from the radio and put them through a UHF transmitter instead of the RC transmitter in the radio. It's good to many many miles depending on the antennae and how well it's been set up.

our club is only three miles or so from an airport and that is causing one of our problems based on the new FAA requirements. If you're less than 5 miles you have to establish an agreement with the airport and they can theoretically say no which would shut down your club. It used to be that you only had to notify them that you were out there.

i believe our club is taking a wait-and-see approach but best practice right now would be to call the AMA if you have any questions about what is best for your club. calling the FAA might help, it might not as there is a lot of inconsistency from one FAA inspector to the next. once one guy (right or wrong) tells you something, if you're in his/her jurisdiction you'll be on the hook to abide by what they say unless you're ready to go court.

AMA is best source for guidance right now for AMA clubs.

garlandk

100cc
If I was looking to use uavs as a business I would strongly urge people to study for the private pilot written test. This might be one of the requirements I can see coming. At least if it is you will be ready for the test.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Sorry if this has been said as I Am and have been in Asia but like who in our administration is thinking that this will stop a terror attack of any kind. It's like the "if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have them". This is probably going to affect foamy flying in the park although I am not sure if this only applies to multi rotor.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
One thing is for certain. I will continue to fly my foamies in the local schoolyard, and if anybody has anything to say about it then they can consult my ass. I have permission to be there, nobody else does after school hours.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
One thing is for certain. I will continue to fly my foamies in the local schoolyard, and if anybody has anything to say about it then they can consult my ass. I have permission to be there, nobody else does after school hours.

do people get offended by the respirator when you're talking to them about your foamies?