• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Flight Pack Opinions

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not sure if this is the correct place to start a thread on this topic.

I would like to know the opinions of everyone regarding receiver flight pack preferences. I've been considering doing things a little different than before and though I absolutely hate Li-po batteries, I really can't say I've had any problems with them. Guess they just scare me. However, I do have an Aeroworks Freestyle Extra 260 that is powered by 4S 5000 mah Li-po batteries. In my big 260 and all my other gassers, I've been running Fromeco Li-Ion Relions. I really enjoy them and have not had one complaint. Years ago, like everyone else I used NiCad and Nimh packs. So past that now...

The Big Sukhoi (like the 260) is getting all top of the line stuff, TDRC harnesses and extensions, Probably RE3's for exhaust, HV Titanium Geared servos, Smart Fly etc, ...not even going to skimp on receiver packs.

What are all you running? Any preferences and why?

jaybird

70cc twin V2
In my two 35% planes...

One is all HV, so I run Fromeco Wolverine switches, a pair of 3600 mah Lipos, and a Tech Aero IBEC.

The other has low voltage servos, so it has a Wolverine, two WrongWay 2500 A123's and a Tech Aero IBEC

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Really all user preference. You can ask for as many opinions as you want but the only person who can make up your mind for you is... Well, you...

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Xpress;18309 wrote: Really all user preference. You can ask for as many opinions as you want but the only person who can make up your mind for you is... Well, you...
Good point and I appreciate that input. But, my decision is going to be based on other peoples experiences. I can't see why a LI-po won't do what the Li-Ion will do. And actually, they are much less expensive. Or am I under a misconception here? To get "GOOD" Li-po's that will handle the load that I am needing, Most any of them will out stretch the Relions, right? Just asking questions.

Mikeq

150cc
In my 37.5 % Pilot Yak...I'm running JR 8711s,,smartfly turbo regulator with a soft switch,, Duel Futaba R7008SB receivers,,two Li-ion 5700 mah,,SWB duel servo rudder tray and a Tech-Aero IBEC...also those Taildragger harnesses for the aileron servos...

oh58skid

50cc
In my Jtec 3.1 CS I am running two Hyperion 5000 mah Li-po, Tech Aero regulators and Ibec, Jr 1222 powersafe reciever and 8711's on the control surfaces.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Rob, As you know I have two gas planes as you helped me get the first one in the air last year. Both of mine have lipo's in them. In the smaller one (VVRC 40 powered 78" Extra) I have twin 2600mah Thunderpower. In my EF 104" with the DA I am using the 3900mah Thunderpower. Both are the G8 Pro Lite+ rated at 25C. I am pleased with both but here are my thoughts.

I never charge the batteries in the plane due to concerns for fire. Therefore I have both planes setup for relatively easy removal and charging. The 78" has a simple latch on the canopy and removal only takes a few minutes. The 104" has 6 3mm screws that hold the canopy on. It takes a lot longer to remove that canopy for charging. As I can get 5 flights on either plane with no concerns for voltage, that is not really an issue. Usually I am ready for a break by the 5th flight. I also tend to fly more than one plane on any given day.

As the Lipos are cheaper and lighter than just about anything else, it is very easy to enlarge the battery to comfortably handle more flights than other chemistries. The voltage is also very easy to check with on board telemetry. I have one plane with A123 batteries and I never got comfortable with the question about battery status.

When I eventually setup a 40% IMAC plane, I think I would lean towards the Fromeco Li-Ion batteries. For a precision plane I think I want the more consistent voltage rather than the torque. I am also not interested in the complexities of a regulator.

For me it would boil down to how easy the plane would be to remove the batteries for charging in the field, and the likelihood I would need to do so. My next big plane is a 60cc sized Jtec Pitts. I doubt I would ever fly it more than three or four times in any given day. The plane after that will be my large IMAC plane. I could see burning a couple gallons in a day on that one practicing precision flying. The first will get a definitely get a lipo, the second is definitely questionable.

Taildraggerrc

70cc twin V2
still love the A123's for constant current and flat discharge. You always get the same performance and checking voltage is no big deal as they can handle high charge rates making charging a non-event.

The chemistry is 100% safe. I accidently over discharged an a123 packs under a current load on a starter. Melted the soldertabs it was so hot. After it was cooled a cycle on the charger still showed full capacity. I also fly 6-12s EDF jets and I never get over 100 cycles out of a lipoy at todays current standards no matter the brand due to the constant energy being discharged under that kind of load. if a123's had the amp hours they would hold up so much better. With an rx application thats not as important but tells the difference in resilience of the chemistry's

We offer genuine a123's as well as HV lipo packs for RX. With that said all of the vendors selling the genuine a123 cells you cant go wrong with.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Rick, how many flights would be conservative for twin 5000mah A123 in a typical 40% IMAC plane? I guess this would include ignition as well via an IBEC, otherwise you would have to charge at least twice or have a twin charger. I usually parallel charge my rx batteries in the field unless I'm really not in a hurry.

Taildraggerrc

70cc twin V2
Patroller;18395 wrote: Rick, how many flights would be conservative for twin 5000mah A123 in a typical 40% IMAC plane? I guess this would include ignition as well via an IBEC, otherwise you would have to charge at least twice or have a twin charger. I usually parallel charge my rx batteries in the field unless I'm really not in a hurry.

Depends on your flying style. I have 2 5000 MAH a123 in my 126" yak. It has 2x 1230 savox on the rudder, and 6 1231 on the rest including a digital savox on the throttle all into a smart fly.

The ignition is pulled off one of the jr para plugs on one of the 5000 MAH a123 into a rcexl optokill.

I fly a mix of slow 3d and high energy precision with lots of snap to point and negative tumbles/KE spins.

Seems I remember I got 4-5 flights and put around 850 MAH back into each of my packs.

If I remember correctly