• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Flight Pack Opinions

thurmma

150cc
On my 42% Pilot Edge 540 I have it setup as follows, 2 rx's, dual Fromeco Sahara regulators, 3 5000mah lipos, 1 for each rx,reg circuit and one for ignition. I am running 2 7950s at 6 volts on the rudder, single 7950 on each elevator, 3 jr 8611a's in each wing, 5645 on the throttle and choke. I have throttle, right aileron, left elevator and one of the rudder servos on one receiver, choke, left aileron, right elevator and the other rudder servo on the second receiver. I have a Wolverine switch controlling the power for the rx's and a Badger switch for the ignition. Also, using JR matchboxes in the wings for servo matching.

I have flown as many as 8 flights in a day at the field and still only put in 1800 mahs max for the rx packs. The ignition pack took about 550 mahs if I remember correctly.

I am not a hard core 3D flier, just a wanna be that does some hovering and slow speed knife edge passes with some IMAC style flying thrown in also.

Just my 2 cents :)

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I have the 3.1 Sukhoi like yours. I use two Taildragger 2500ma packs into a Wolverine switch (Deans in/JR out) with four outputs to dual Futaba HS6014 RXs. I fly three IMAC Sportsman sequences per flight and use about 250ma per pack. Those are pretty long flights though I've never actually timed them. I'm running nine digital servos (4-Futaba 9147s, 4 Savox 1270s, and 1 Hitec 5955). This easily gives me five flights (15 sequences) and still keeps me in the 50% capacity range for safety. That's plenty of juice for any of the contests I fly in.

Charge time using a Cell-Pro Multi 4 is about 30 minutes a pack. No regulator to fail and little or no danger of a fire.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
thurmma;18520 wrote: On my 42% Pilot Edge 540 I have it setup as follows, 2 rx's, dual Fromeco Sahara regulators, 3 5000mah lipos, 1 for each rx,reg circuit and one for ignition. I am running 2 7950s at 6 volts on the rudder, single 7950 on each elevator, 3 jr 8611a's in each wing, 5645 on the throttle and choke. I have throttle, right aileron, left elevator and one of the rudder servos on one receiver, choke, left aileron, right elevator and the other rudder servo on the second receiver. I have a Wolverine switch controlling the power for the rx's and a Badger switch for the ignition. Also, using JR matchboxes in the wings for servo matching.

I have flown as many as 8 flights in a day at the field and still only put in 1800 mahs max for the rx packs. The ignition pack took about 550 mahs if I remember correctly.

I am not a hard core 3D flier, just a wanna be that does some hovering and slow speed knife edge passes with some IMAC style flying thrown in also.

Just my 2 cents :)

There we go. Hardcore information with actual numbers to boot. On my 260, I am running two 5200 Fromeco Li-ion relions for rx through Smart-Fly, and one 2600 on the ignition. Using six HS 7954 for the ailerons and elevators, two HS 7980TH on the rudder and HS 5665 on throttle. Like you, I don't really think I am too hard core 3D. But I am wailing on my Slick and Edge 540 every chance I get. With the 260, I am a little more cautious. My mah usage has been 3083 total mah from 10600 on the receivers after five 12 minute flights. Ignition was 453 mah usage of 2600. As for the Sukhoi, I am obviously running more servos and I plan to get a little more....mmm, aggressive with it. Just want to make sure the final decision on set up is not going to be too little or not robust enough.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Robotech;18524 wrote: I have the 3.1 Sukhoi like yours. I use two Taildragger 2500ma packs into a Wolverine switch (Deans in/JR out) with four outputs to dual Futaba HS6014 RXs. I fly three IMAC Sportsman sequences per flight and use about 250ma per pack. Those are pretty long flights though I've never actually timed them. I'm running nine digital servos (4-Futaba 9147s, 4 Savox 1270s, and 1 Hitec 5955). This easily gives me five flights (15 sequences) and still keeps me in the 50% capacity range for safety. That's plenty of juice for any of the contests I fly in.

Charge time using a Cell-Pro Multi 4 is about 30 minutes a pack. No regulator to fail and little or no danger of a fire.

Ah yeah.....now we're talkin'. For the Sukhoi, I will be running 10 HS 7950TH's for the control surfaces and an HS 5665 on the go go pedal. You think for basic IMAC, Precision and light 3D, the TDRC 2500's will be enough for like...umm lets say 5, "12" minute flights? Oh by the way...are you speaking of the A123 2500 mah packs?

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
On My 3.1m Radiowave Extra 300CS I am running 2-Thunder power 3800 rx lipo's, castle pro BEC's to regulate and a fromeco wolverine switch. I am not running HV stuff so I am regulated to 6.8v but if I were to run HV stuff I would switch the lipo's out for the 3s version and regulate to 8.4v so you get a consistent feel throughout every flight.

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
Mikeq;18504 wrote: Was it hard to synchronize all of those servos using that powerbox?

Not really [MENTION=329]Mikeq[/MENTION] . It just takes a little getting used to, but wasn't bad after I figured it out.

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
Myself personal I use life packs. I've seen way to many lipos fail go puffy etc. three years now and I havnt had a life pack fail or someone that I know. I'm not a hardcore 3d flyer eighter but I'm trying lol. I average 400 mah a flight on my 100cc and 300 a flight on my 60cc's. I also like not having to reg the packs one less fail point.