• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glassing and Painting techniques

kork

70cc twin V2
well, you guys caught me at the right time, I am ready to final sand and fill. I have no problems trying the joint compound. Are you using just regular premixed USG or a powder 20 minute?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
well, you guys caught me at the right time, I am ready to final sand and fill. I have no problems trying the joint compound. Are you using just regular premixed USG or a powder 20 minute?
I used premixed lightweight joint compound.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
2014-12-09 15.10.41.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Yup, I did not use the lightweight just because I had regular on hand from some mold making, but the P-mix is awesome and you will sand off 99% of it anyway. I'll be back to work on my hatch later this week, so I'll post more pics when I get caught up on "work" work.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
I'll be interested to see what the others say but I hate red filler with a passion! As Tyler said, it's a one part filler so not very hard, and it clogs sandpaper really really bad, unless you have very small patches. Covering an entire panel or hatch...:eek:
YA, that stuff is laquor based, and it tends to shrink quite a bit. It's is only useful for pinholes.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
And, I don't think primer adds as much weight as we would maybe think. I mean, we are sanding most of it off anyway. With my thunderbolt, I pretty much sanded the whole thing until I could just start to break through to the glass with 220, then I put one more nice coat of primer on it a little over reduced so it spayed smoother, and scuffed that with 600 wet. There can't be much build there