• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glassing and Painting techniques

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Sounds like you've used that stuff before...Lol

That's what I thought......I was a little easy on my comment on it but I've swore at the red stuff enough to run!! Thanks for joining in Edgewise!! Hope to bring you an Edge wing at the Christmas party......

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That's easy. You mix some black base coat in with some clear coat. And put on coats till you have the looks you want.

Yup, what he said!!! Very simple. Looks like I have 4 or 5 of them to do so I'll post a few pics here and on the Viper thread.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
YA, that stuff is laquor based, and it tends to shrink quite a bit. It's is only useful for pinholes.
I'm no expert but there may be small misconception of what red cap is to be used for. I wouldn’t use it to fill dips or low spots or weave fill. If used it should be for pin hole type finishing. It's also best if used on parts that can be wet sanded out.

tylerzx9r

100cc
There is a much better 1K type filler (IF YOU MUST USE A 1k PRODUCT) From Spies Hecker called fine filler Part #7715 that works well for small blemishes. It comes in a toothpaste style tube, and works well in small amounts. I remind you though, it is still a 1K product!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm old enough and been in the bodyshop business long enough to NOT so fondly remember when red spot putty "Red Stuff" was about all there was. I am not one of the guys that looks back at the Lacquer days as "The good old days". I was glad to see it go.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
So far on my Krill I've been using the Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty (Red Stuff) for filling in the "low" side after sanding the seams. Really no large depressions and most gets wet sanded away before primer. Am I OK using this stuff or do y'all recommend a better product? This shows the little bit left before priming. It seems to work well and sands easily.
DSC00981.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That kinda stuff I think you'd be fine going over an entire hatch or an entire plane to fill weave would be a no-no. You don't want to fill anything that requires any build-up with this material though.

What I typically use if I need a thin buildup is Glazing body filler. Thinner than bondo, sands nice and sets up quickly. I've used it to fill weave on canopies before and it was a lot of elbow grease to sand that large of an area while keeping it flat and it does add weight.