• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D H9 1/3 Cap 232 - Blast from the past!!!

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Was my first "big plane" also. ZDZ80 for power.
I put blind nuts in the wing roots and used 1/4-20 nylon bolts instead of the 4-40 in the wing tube. Did the hardwood dowel tapped 4-40 in the stab tube.
I did the same thing with the two H9 33% Sukhois I had. One of them is still in operation after countless flights and 5 owners.

Thanks Earle,

btw - excellent flying at the black dirt NE regional finals this year. I helped tally the scores. The pirate on the raven looked awesome...

hi terry,

you're right. I think I also need to cut an air inlet for the carb, it's about .5" from the surface of the cowl. seems close to me, thoughts?. pic included. In order to allow more hot air to exit, should I just join the two slots i cut for the pipes, or possibly dremel venting slots/ louvers. Kind of like the air inlet on a smaller cap I've been flying, pic included.

Lastly, do you think there is a need for baffling? The air inlets dump right onto the cylinders.

I appreciate your thoughts in advance. thanks.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(23).jpg
    FullSizeRender(23).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 304
  • FullSizeRender(22).jpg
    FullSizeRender(22).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
cespedes, i just noticed that you're in NJ when you said Black Dirt

where at?
and I'll fix your username right now per your request

hi bartman,

I live in North Caldwell. It's the town where Tony lives in the Sopranos... :) love that show. how about you? Where do you fly?

jaybird

70cc twin V2
Definitely yes on the baffles, and I would cut a big half circle at the bottom rear of the cowl for air exit. As far as carb clearance, I would try it first without a hole and see how she does.

thanks jaybird, I appreciate the feedback. There isn't a lot of meat left in the area to cut a large half moon and not join the two main slots. I'll have to think of how to pull it off without compromising the lower cowl area.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Yea the slots in the cowl are going to prohibit the big exit. Does it have a canister tunnel? It looks like there is an open bay behind the landing gear just covered with covering. You could make a vent plate for that and install a low pressure lip to suck out the air and it works very well. I did this in front of the gear plate on my EF 91" Extra with DA70. I was running my PAU Edge pretty hard with the DA120 and it was over heating. On that one I opened up the canister exits and actually installed two low pressure lips. Bye bye heat problem. See attached.

Attachments

• 1398118112574.jpg
    1398118112574.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 310
  • _DSC1002.jpg
    _DSC1002.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 337