• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D H9 1/3 Cap 232 - Blast from the past!!!

jaybird

70cc twin V2
Ah yea I see the pic, not much room left. Terry's suggestion will definitely work. That plane doesn't have a can tunnel but you can build something into that first bay behind the F1 former. I have cut "gills" in the bottom of the cowl and used small aluminum low pressure lips and it seems to work great.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
With those big slots and some venting in the tunnel, I would think you'd have plenty of exit area.

Thanks for the kudos on Black Dirt....that was my first venture into Advanced IMAC. Friggen rollers in the unknown just killed me :confused::black-eye::omg:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
hi bartman,

I live in North Caldwell. It's the town where Tony lives in the Sopranos... :) love that show. how about you? Where do you fly?

Born and raised in Nutley, living out in Hunterdon County now, Milford, 08848. Where do you fly?

Born and raised in Nutley, living out in Hunterdon County now, Milford, 08848. Where do you fly?

Nutley is like ten minutes from me, just down 46. Milford is about an hour from me, I fly at black dirt almost exclusively. It's like a slice of heaven to me. I'm also a member at BCMA in Leonia and Wayne flyers, I don't fly there much though. They're closer than BD but there is no comparison. Let me know if you'd like to come out. Where do you fly? I like road trips...

With those big slots and some venting in the tunnel, I would think you'd have plenty of exit area.

Thanks for the kudos on Black Dirt....that was my first venture into Advanced IMAC. Friggen rollers in the unknown just killed me :confused::black-eye::omg:

Not a problem at all, it was a good time. Those rollers gave everyone a hard time, it's all in good fun.

Yea the slots in the cowl are going to prohibit the big exit. Does it have a canister tunnel? It looks like there is an open bay behind the landing gear just covered with covering. You could make a vent plate for that and install a low pressure lip to suck out the air and it works very well. I did this in front of the gear plate on my EF 91" Extra with DA70. I was running my PAU Edge pretty hard with the DA120 and it was over heating. On that one I opened up the canister exits and actually installed two low pressure lips. Bye bye heat problem. See attached.

Terry, thanks for the feedback. I installed my tank low in the fuse behind F1, so I don't have the empty space to open a tunnel or exit for hot air. I'm going to have to divert it out the back of the cowl. I think I'm going to try and draw some vents on the center section of the cowl between the two slots, if they look ok I'll trim the material out. Possibly use screen material to add some rigidity back to the area.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i'm a member at Round Valley RC Club but it's not very noise-friendly so I'm trying to get in somewhere else. i started at Lakeland RC when we were at the Kearny landfill location then went to Hackensack Flyers for a while. I've flown at Wayne Flyers but never the Black Dirt field. We'll have to keep in touch for when the weather gets better.

Update: Added two shelves to secure the batteries and receivers, power gear, magnetic switch, etc... I'll post what the shelves final look will be when they're done, I need to wire it up. I need to recheck the CG, I suspect it's going to be tail heavy, as I did not take into consideration the wood and epoxy when I was checking the CG the last time. I simply placed the batteries and rx gear on the bottom of the fuse and moved it forward and back until I found neutral. I didn't know where in the fuse it would all end up, so the shelf idea only became an option once I determined where they needed to live. I also had a former to contend with, the sweetspot landed right on top of one, I decided to move backwards rather than forward. I tend to like an aft CG but will try and get it close to neutral for maiden. If she is too tail heavy I may compensate with a wooden motor mount. I'll admit, the suggestions to toss the stand offs has been weighing heavy on my mind. I'm thinking of making one to test during ground runs of the engine. Every little thing I add means more weight, she currently weighs 24.5 lbs.

Also got some work done on the canopy hatch. Pilot and dash are in, still need to glue the canopy. Still have some mechanics related to push rods and final programing and then on to engine testing and ground tuning. Last will be the cosmetics, might wait until after maiden for vinyl decals/cosmetics.

sc

Attachments

• IMG_8331.JPG
    IMG_8331.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_8329.JPG
    IMG_8329.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_8324.JPG
    IMG_8324.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_8360.JPG
    IMG_8360.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_8375.JPG
    IMG_8375.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_8374.JPG
    IMG_8374.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 316
hello fellas,

I ran into a bit of a snag, I accidentally dropped the plane onto the stand when I was checking CG and it crushed the canopy hatch. sux'd.... It wasn't too bad though, I did go ahead and decide to pull the covering back, fill it, sand it, and re-cover it. Came out better than if I would have left it post drop.

The canopy took a lot of time. But I also was able to get the PB wired up, mainly SBUS so it's clean. Installed the batteries and RXs. All seems to be working as planned. I've got telemetry up; RX batt, voltage, capacity and current. RX batt is the voltage the PB is providing to the RXs (Futaba's view of telemetry), and voltage is actual voltage of the battery unregultated. Capacity and current is self explanatory (PB's views of the Telemetry).

Ignore the gray ribbon cables, they'll go away once I am sure everything is tested and setup right. They're only needed to upgrade/login to the system.
IMG_8435.JPG
IMG_8437.JPG
IMG_8436.JPG
IMG_8438.JPG
IMG_8441.JPG
IMG_8440.JPG
IMG_8442.JPG
IMG_8444.JPG
IMG_8445.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
hello fellas,

I ran into a bit of a snag, I accidentally dropped the plane onto the stand when I was checking CG and it crushed the canopy hatch. sux'd.... It wasn't too bad though, I did go ahead and decide to pull the covering back, fill it, sand it, and re-cover it. Came out better than if I would have left it post drop.

The canopy took a lot of time. But I also was able to get the PB wired up, mainly SBUS so it's clean. Installed the batteries and RXs. All seems to be working as planned. I've got telemetry up; RX batt, voltage, capacity and current. RX batt is the voltage the PB is providing to the RXs (Futaba's view of telemetry), and voltage is actual voltage of the battery unregultated. Capacity and current is self explanatory (PB's views of the Telemetry).

Ignore the gray ribbon cables, they'll go away once I am sure everything is tested and setup right. They're only needed to upgrade/login to the system.
View attachment 5402 View attachment 5403 View attachment 5404 View attachment 5405 View attachment 5406 View attachment 5407 View attachment 5408 View attachment 5409 View attachment 5411
+1 Very Impressive