• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair Build

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i really like the 60cc size warbirds that have become popular (Hobbico, Hangar 9, Aeroworks to name a few).

subscribed.

camss69

70cc twin V2
There's lots to choose from that's for sure, there's also the new stuff from Extreme Flight coming out... If they release a 60cc sized P-39 I'm in trouble!

camss69

70cc twin V2
Making decent progress so far.. Taking a break because it's hot in the garage now..

Left aileron is installed and linkage hooked up. The glue is drying on one side of the hinges for the outboard flap. I trial fit the flaps and they are pretty close shouldn't need any more adjusting than the first side did.

The hinges are set back into the ailerons, they provide a gauge for you to set the depth.. Pretty straightforward.. I did have to fix the off center pre-drilled hinge holes for the left aileron and adjust the depth of the holes so the hinges went in far enough..

I'm using regular 30 min epoxy with a little milled fiberlass for the hinges.

One thing nice about the Corsair wing, with the bent wing it holds itself up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 691
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 734
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 730
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 658

camss69

70cc twin V2
Weekend mission accomplished... I even finished a bit early and was going to move on to mounting the flap servo before I realized I didn't have the metal servo arm I thought I had... I'm also still on the fence about running a single servo for flaps or two.. The stock setup uses a "Y" pushrod and a single servo. A lot of guys use a servo for each side for ease of ajustability...

The other thing I don't know about is the stock hangar 9 control arms... Why are the screws so short? They don't even go all the way through the nut on the other side.. I'm thinking I may get longer bolts and put a lock nut on each one... Just makes me nervous..

The wing looks a lot bigger with all the flaps and ailerons installed. I'm using a Savox 1268SG for flaps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 755
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 779
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 681
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 657
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 732
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 709

camss69

70cc twin V2
Here's a flap servo setup I think I like better.. Maybe I'll go two 1268's and the turnbuckle setup like this..

There's also a little bit of resistance at full flap deployment.. I think individual servos will handle it better..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 726
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 732

camss69

70cc twin V2
Well I had a few minutes and made it into the garage... I started mapping out the ports on the Xport Duo I'm using with the JR Infinity receiver. I'm sure these will probably change once I mount it in the plane and I see how the wiring works out. Part of the benefit is being able to arrange the ports however best works for you. I think I'm going to temporarily mount it on a piece of plywood so it will be somewhat portable and I can plug servos into their ports while setting up servos. It's kind of like holding an octopus when your just trying to check if a servo is centered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 774

camss69

70cc twin V2
Decided on the dual 1268's servos on flaps. There are servo mount holes already in the center section but the the holes are too long for the Savox servos. I managed to find 5" turnbuckles locally but was unable to find any metal servo arms locally so I had to order them from tower. I had a spare set of Hangar 9 ball links on hand. I glued in some plywood mounts and then found some paint that was a reasonable match so I painted them. I used the one servo as a template to drill all the holes with a hand drill then mounted my one servo. One problem I keep running into with the Savox servos is the shorter lead they come with. They are about 3" shorter than JR servos and my extensions and the way I route the wires vs the way they do it in the manual has to be different.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 647
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 674
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 658

camss69

70cc twin V2
Servo arms came in today... Weird I bought something that says Futaba on it. I don't have anything against Futaba I just don't usually buy Futaba. I setup the right side flaps and tested them out. They work perfectly and all the hardware fits well. The part that has me wondering is when the servo stops moving it's buzzing... I put my meter on it and it's pulling between .1 and .2 amps, if you tap the flaps with your finger it stops buzzing and pulls around .03 amps. I'm used to digital servos and their buzzing just not scale surfaces with some drag to them. Should I be worried about the servos buzzing? I know with the engine running it probably will help. The other servo should be here by Thursday and I'll be able to finish up the flaps.

#slowbuild

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 729
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 714