• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair Build

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looking good! Just me......If I was to do this plane I would try and make it operate as real as I could get it. So yes to the gear door sequencer's and the landing lights that come on when the gear is down:yesss:.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Mounted the rudder and elevator servos. Fit the Sierra air tank, and the receiver mount/air tank retainer. I also test fit the wing center section to the fuse tonight. First time I've tried it and luckily the fit seems really good. The center section is shockingly heavy.. I've decided to skip the gear doors for now and come back to them later.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 777
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:

camss69

70cc twin V2
Attempted to go flying today, it was raining in the morning but with the expectation it would clear up in the afternoon we headed to the field. It did clear up, totally clear skies but with the clear skies came a freezing cold wind! Flew once and headed home to work on the Corsair instead. Spent a ton of time working on the covering on the fuse. Obviously it's like covering a round barrel and apparently the people Hangar 9 have doing their covering are not the same people Extreme Flight have doing theirs. They also don't appear to be much more skilled than myself at covering... So lots of time with the iron trying to get out at least some of the wrinkles that were ironed in by the factory. It's right borderline of salvageable in my opinion. I'm going to have to redo some parts and put a couple of patches on it, not real thrilled. In fact I would say it's worth seriously considering a different plane. Anyway this is what I have to work with so I'll clean it up as best I can and hope for the best.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Worked on the Corsair in between the kids 3 basketball games today. Air tank is permanently mounted, back side of the cockpit is installed, started working on the air valve mount. Starting getting he dashboard trimmed to fit. I'm going to try to mount the switches, air fill and pressure gauges all in the cockpit. I need to order an air gauge that's going to get mounted in the cockpit and a different style air fill valve. Also going to order the receiver batts this week. Little at a time!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 748
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 735
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 763

camss69

70cc twin V2
Out of town all week for business..

Had about an hour today to work on the plane. Dremeled out the gauge holes on the plastic dashboard so the gauges on the decal would show through. Added a little silver and red paintpaint and it looks pretty good I think. I don't think it's to scale anyway so I just tried to make it look cooler. Just have to do a little cleanup work and get it mounted in the plane.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 728

camss69

70cc twin V2
Receiver batteries came in on Monday. When I got into giant scale I started with Fromeco LiIon's, replaced them in later builds with LiPos for cost and current capabilities, then tried the LIfePO4's (a weaker A123), then back to LiPo, but recently have come back to LiIon's. LiIon's don't seem to mind being stored fully charged and I can also put them on the charger and walk away. I also have some that even though they are 6-7 years old still work great. I replaced them anyway and now use them as bench batteries. This plane having such a small space for the batteries and the fact that they are enclosed are two more reasons to go LiIon. It's a tight fit but I have 5200 mah capacity in that small space.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 701
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 701

camss69

70cc twin V2
So the cover that is supposed to go over the battery compartment didn't fit, had to file all the holes oblong but it fits now and you can't tell.

Putting the cockpit floor in was a MAJOR pain in the rear. I looked at it, my daughter looked at it, my wife looked at and and we couldn't figure out how the hell to get it in without breaking it. Finally after literally hours of thinking about it we were able to wedge it in there..

I ended up not using the plastic part of the dash and only used the decal because it didn't sit flat against the wood behind it. I wanted to mount the soft switch, air pressure gauge and fill valve on the dash. I still think it looks pretty good.

Started working on how to mount the receiver, it's like the old saying 10lbs of :dancing-poop: in a 5 lb box, but this is more like a 3lb box.

Also got distracted by a classified ad and somehow this P-39 showed up at my door... It will probably sit in my closet for the next 5 years.. Always wanted one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 720
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 670