• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC hobby getting expensive

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I agree @Terryscustom , some people and some flying styles really do require all the performance they can get. However, there are a lot of people who don't. The manufacturer recommendations are to cover all the potential pilots and their demands. But even with the same air frame, the demands of an IMAC pilot and a 3D pilot are completely different. I would hope by the time the pilots get to that level, they are able to judge for themselves what they need. There is no right or wrong answer, as long as we are having fun. This hobby can be as cheap or expensive as we choose to make it.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I guess the term "expensive" is pretty relative depending upon ones desires, skill sets and budget restrictions. We're retired, so there is some required fiscal management (well i guess that applies to those working as well). In my view even a Top Notch Custom Built 40% is relatively cheap compared with other hobbies/sports that require engines and electronics.

There are lots of fabulous bargains on used planes and equipment....it just takes some careful scrutiny and knowledge to make sure you're getting what you pay for. I bought my 42% Raven, DA150/RE3 combo, ready to fly minus the Rx and batts for $2500. Is it a Carden Pro with a DA200, etc....NO....BUT it can hold its own against them when flown well . Does it look as pretty on the ground....NO....BUT in the air it looks and presents just as well. Will the airframe last as long (assuming no dumb-thumbs)....NO....BUT I suspect it will hold up quite well until I do something stupid. At least I won't feel as bad because it wasn't a TNCB :oblong:

well there are many ways to cut cost, but not everyone is willing to do it.
One is to start scratch building, yes it takes longer and I know nowadays, people want instant gratification, hence Arfs
This way you are in control of your build and not factories overseas., again not for everyone.
Another thing, generally, people think if its not expensive, it can't be good, for instance the best radio on the market right now for its quality, programmability , and bullet proof solid 2.4 is made by FrSky , the Taranis, Taranis Plus, and with two more coming soone, The Taranis has up to 32 channels, and the programmability is by far the best on the planet. but it only cost around $250 while the Futaba 18 cost around $3000 and doesn't do as much as the Taranis. that is an example where people are spending way too much for a radio, Futaba, JR and such does a lot of advertising, sponsoring etc. so when people see some to names in the business using these radios, they automatically think its the best , well think again, they are sponsored, which means free to them .
Someone was heard saying , "I won't trust a $35.00 receiver to my $ 4000.00 airplane" and someone replied, " we can add an extra $100 if it will make you feel better"

A Ferrari is a very expensive car, yet its no better then your Ford , or Chevy, think about it.

I will keep like this for the time being, but lots more to talk about

You couldn't be more wrong on sponsored pilots getting free radios and recievers. With the exception of maybe a very small select few there is still a cost involved. Granted a discount but depending on what you purchase there can still be some serious money involved for sponsored pilots. Then sponsored pilots do help out with helping others with the products. in the past few weeks I have been on the phone with customers helping them with programming and plane set up. The phone calls can last for an hour and have had some go to 2.5 hours helping set up planes. I am also going to someone's house to do a hands on help/plane set up for a customer. This is all for free to the customer and a cost of fuel and time for me. But I fully support the product I fly with and will to help where I can.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
For the moment....You can get a "nice" plane all rigged out with goodies and compared to costs of yesteryear it is all a bargan.

First Futaba digital proportional 2 stick radio circa 1965 with tax over 700$

700$ in 1965 would by a "lifetime" of cheeseburgers. Hell....by a nice car for 700$ 1965.

I'm going to leave this as it is. I started a thread while back sorta prompting the same answers but I personally feel this will go political.

I believe it is much more difficult to earn an income that can support the hobby today and not that the hobby is getting expensive.

I hope I am not offending anyone by this thread,

I am more talking to the masses then a select few. As for overkill versus underkill, there is a large area between these two statements. Overkill is most always there, not just with equipment but in building also, and I am not for one instant to go underkill, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
We are sending the wrong signal to those who have an interest in these larger models by always going for the most expensive because someone said we had to.

If you get a top name , well know pilot, starting to use 4 servos on the throttle, I'm willing to bet , a lot of people will start believing you actually need this to be competitive.
During the TOC years , people were saying DA engines where the best because TOC pilots used them , well all of the pilots were offered this engine for free , and I remember one declined because he was already sponsored by 3W. but the fact remains , people thought they were the only engine worth getting because of this.
So yes a lot of freebees for sponsored pilots, which doesn't help the newbees.
As for the Taranis, here is why they are not expensive, , first they are open source, second they didn't develop a high price dedicated chip processessor, they are using the ARM 32 which is very powerful chip. Also they do not advertise, advertising is very expensive. and they don't sponsor pilots or events , the only marketing strategy is word of mouth.

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Cost is relative. And as one guy put it, this hobby is CHEAP compared to many others. Look at fishing. If you want to be serious you need a boat and electronics and 10 rods plus all the tackle. You can EASILY be 100k after all is said and done. My first "hobby" is shooting and i know i spend way more every month on shooting supplies than i do flying planes. I also tend to buy a grand or 2 worth of guns every year (that the wife knows about) so that adds up as well.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
One of the things I like to tell people that are unfamiliar with our hobby is you can make it as expensive as YOU want. You can fly for a few hundred or less, or tens a thousands. Whatever makes you happy. I like to buy used when I can. Right now I have three used airframes and three used DA's. I buy my electronics new, unless they came with an airframe. The exception to that was a used JR11X I bought a few years ago. I have saved a lot of money doing things that way and have been very lucky with what I've bought.

I find the new radios like the Taranis very interesting, but the only guys in our club with them either never fly, or crash so often they could give any ones equipment a bad name. I hear very good things about them, and would consider one, but my 11x fills all my needs for the foreseeable future.

There are a lot of people out there that think if your using expensive equipment your an idiot, or if you use cheaper equipment your an idiot. I think they're both wrong. Buy what your comfortable with. It doesn't matter if you buy by brand name or price, as long as your enjoying yourself you made the right decision. On the other site I used to see "Fanboy" being tossed around as an insult. I'm a Fanboy, a Fanboy of having fun!

quadracer

100cc
Another thought to consider, is that "name brand" stuff gets the tag "name brand" for a reason. Hitec, Futaba, DA, JR, etc, all haven't made their name by simply charging more for a given product. Being reliable, effective, and simply known to work well for the vast majority of modelers goes a long way into what price they can demand for their product. Not to say the cheaper stuff won't work, but when your products have been on the market for ages, it's indicative of a solid product, hence a price difference.