• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC hobby getting expensive

DATech

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I hope I am not offending anyone by this thread,

I am more talking to the masses then a select few. As for overkill versus underkill, there is a large area between these two statements. Overkill is most always there, not just with equipment but in building also, and I am not for one instant to go underkill, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
We are sending the wrong signal to those who have an interest in these larger models by always going for the most expensive because someone said we had to.

If you get a top name , well know pilot, starting to use 4 servos on the throttle, I'm willing to bet , a lot of people will start believing you actually need this to be competitive.
During the TOC years , people were saying DA engines where the best because TOC pilots used them , well all of the pilots were offered this engine for free , and I remember one declined because he was already sponsored by 3W. but the fact remains , people thought they were the only engine worth getting because of this.
So yes a lot of freebees for sponsored pilots, which doesn't help the newbees.
As for the Taranis, here is why they are not expensive, , first they are open source, second they didn't develop a high price dedicated chip processessor, they are using the ARM 32 which is very powerful chip. Also they do not advertise, advertising is very expensive. and they don't sponsor pilots or events , the only marketing strategy is word of mouth.

Hmmm... I understand the analogy you are trying to make, but in this case... Since the TOC pilots were offered sponsorship from all the engine companies, thus neutralizing the "I'll fly it in the biggest contest in the world because it's free concept", I think they flew what they felt would give them the best performance.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been in the hobby buisness since 1991 when I was manager at Hobby Central in Farmington MO. I've owned my own hobby shop since 1999 in Sullivan MO.
R/C has never been more affordable than it is today!
So I'm totaly lost by this thread.

I think you have a valid point here, which I guess is why I am on both sides of the fence. To get into the hobby, heck you can get a good radio for a couple hundred bucks. Receivers are not bad prices for the average pilot, and planes....holy crap there are options. From foam, all the way up the ladder. I laugh because I just bought a foam VooDoo P-51 with retracts, flaps, servos, motor, esc, and all built for me for $200. Couple lipo's and 30 minutes and I'm in the air.

I think I spent that for my first ugly stick ARF only 7-8 years ago. Going up the ladder it obviously get's more expensive but there are great budget options if chosen wisely. However I don't care if they clean my plane at the end of the day I cant justify the sub $200 servos that are coming out on the market lately.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I think you have a valid point here, which I guess is why I am on both sides of the fence. To get into the hobby, heck you can get a good radio for a couple hundred bucks. Receivers are not bad prices for the average pilot, and planes....holy crap there are options. From foam, all the way up the ladder. I laugh because I just bought a foam VooDoo P-51 with retracts, flaps, servos, motor, esc, and all built for me for $200. Couple lipo's and 30 minutes and I'm in the air.

I think I spent that for my first ugly stick ARF only 7-8 years ago. Going up the ladder it obviously get's more expensive but there are great budget options if chosen wisely. However I don't care if they clean my plane at the end of the day I cant justify the sub $200 servos that are coming out on the market lately.

When I first started in 91, the absolute cheapest I could get a guy in the air was over $500.00. Now I can start a kid on a RTF foamie for under $100 bucks.

The first computer radios were very expensive. Now I can sell a DX6i with 10 Model Memory for $130.00. And it's 100 times better than those old expensive computer radios.

I could go on and on and on.

Bottom line, R/C has never been cheaper. That being said, it's just like any other hobby. Be it bass fishing or coin collecting, etc. The sky is the limit! A person CAN spend a fortune, but they sure DON'T have to.

-Rick-

100cc
I totally agree with Mike, its far cheaper to get started in this hobby now than it used to be. Around 1979 I paid $600 for a 4 channel AM radio!

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I just did a quick spreadsheet comparing a 35% Aeroworks Extra 300 ($1399 shipped) with both the top of the line build and the cheap build. For engines, I compared the DA-120 and DLE-120, both with headers and cannisters (no smoke). For servos (HV, MG, min 333 oz) I compared MKS and Solar servos. Props were 27 x 10 wood vs. carbon, spinners alum vs. carbon. Power system and dual switch vs. two switches. 2S LiPos, 3300 Mah, Turnigy vs Thunder Power Magna. Dubro wheels vs. White Rose. Went through the whole plane, you get the idea. About the only thing I didn't compare was linkage and control horns. I also didn't include radio stuff, by the time someone is building a plane like this, they already have good radio gear and know what they are putting in it.

And the totals? Top of the line gear: $5,700......On the cheap: $2,720! Both would probably be at least another $100 by the time you add in servo extensions, linkages, and fuel lines.

Would they fly the same? With my limited flying skills, both would be fine. QQ might want something more towards the top end stuff!

I will have to say it was pretty eye-opening to see just how much difference you could make in the price of a RTF plane, literally twice the price if you max it out!

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I would say that is probably a pretty realistic number @Terryscustom , performance costs money and if you fly at the max capabilities of the equipment, you need the performance. The biggest difference in my pricing was servos ($1400), followed by bling like CF and titanium pieces.

Hobby getting expensive,,, initial outfitting yes but you do get what ya paid for and then its all nickle & dime stuff after that. There are builders and fabricators in everyone, some just don t know it yet :)

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I just did a quick spreadsheet comparing a 35% Aeroworks Extra 300 ($1399 shipped) with both the top of the line build and the cheap build. For engines, I compared the DA-120 and DLE-120, both with headers and cannisters (no smoke). For servos (HV, MG, min 333 oz) I compared MKS and Solar servos. Props were 27 x 10 wood vs. carbon, spinners alum vs. carbon. Power system and dual switch vs. two switches. 2S LiPos, 3300 Mah, Turnigy vs Thunder Power Magna. Dubro wheels vs. White Rose. Went through the whole plane, you get the idea. About the only thing I didn't compare was linkage and control horns. I also didn't include radio stuff, by the time someone is building a plane like this, they already have good radio gear and know what they are putting in it.

And the totals? Top of the line gear: $5,700......On the cheap: $2,720! Both would probably be at least another $100 by the time you add in servo extensions, linkages, and fuel lines.

Would they fly the same? With my limited flying skills, both would be fine. QQ might want something more towards the top end stuff!

I will have to say it was pretty eye-opening to see just how much difference you could make in the price of a RTF plane, literally twice the price if you max it out!
You hit the nail on the head. This hobby is only expensive if you want it to be.

Last edited:

-Rick-

100cc

And you are talking new. If you are willing to wait for GOOD used planes, motors, etc. You can knock another grand off of that as well. Up to you if you need the latest and greatest...