• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC hobby getting expensive

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Generally, when you see a huge pricetag on something (Futaba 18MZ for example, or JR 28X), you have to factor in certain aspects of the transmitter such as a large amounts of R&D that went into the transmitter, and the features that the transmitter includes. The 18MZ has a Windows operating system on it which does play into the cost. Then you have all of the custom designed components that went into it, then you have the fully adjustable gimbals and switch positions, then you have the casing, then the chassis, then the 18MZ has a camera in the back of it, a full color touch screen with back lighting- you can see where costs go up. This isn't something that was assembled using off the shelf components like some other brand transmitters use such as FrSky or even Tactic. Mostly everything is built from the ground up. Then, once you get past the physical components, you get into the digital ones like flight conditions. There's lots of things an 18MZ can do that a Taranis can't (the opposite can be true though).

Now where they come up with the $3000 pricetag, I'm not entirely certain, but I have a feeling that Windows and Android want a decent slice of the pie before handing it off. Can you imagine the cost of a transmitter that had an Apple IOS on it?

There are always less expensive options that are just as reliable out there though. Some people like the Taranis simply for the cost and features it has. I personally have used a Taranis and wasn't absorbed into it like some users are. I personally prefer my Hitec Aurora 9X (and this isn't just because I work for Hitec) because it has high end features in a low cost platform, such as a backlit touchscreen, flight conditions, full telemetry, etc. etc. and the programming has been very thoroughly thought out. Hitec is able to keep the cost down on the 9X because everything is designed and programmed in house, plus other features such as a plastic case (as opposed to aluminum) and a non-color touch screen.

Usually the super high dollar transmitters out there are flagship transmitters though, so they have all of the options and features in them- most of the time half the people that buy them don't ever touch those features. They bought it because they wanted the flagship transmitter that could 'Do it all!' and they justified the price. There are always less expensive options out there that have features most users need and a price they can afford. I'll use the Hitec Flash 7 for example- it's priced inexpensively and has several standard features that a lot of modelers are looking for like switch and channel assignability, telemetry, and a super high resolution with a fast frame rate. Plenty of transmitter for any airplane up to about 50cc. Plus it has a night lightweight feel and it fits in your hands nicely. I personally do not like a heavy transmitter, it's gotta have a certain weight and feel to it that I like.

Just some more brain food for discussion :oblong:

I would also like to add that my main reason for starting this is for people who wants in but can't afford the high price tags that some are asking, and yet still have very reliable and good equipment, please don't let this touch your personal feelings its more for the masses
I think this is a good subject and is going well. I fully agree this hobby can be as expensive as you want it. Get fully started under $1000.00 or even buy used to get you flying. Then the price goes up. Trailer 2-3k, flagship transmitter 2-3k. Motorhome to go to events pull out your wallet. Many guys at my club bore holes in the sky for years on the cheap.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
We don't have many giant scale flyers at our field. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I'd love to have an airplane like this, they're just too expensive. When I tell them that since I buy used, I have about a grand in what they're looking at they say "Well, that's not bad, but it's still a lot of money. That usually gets me started on the fact that they have a dozen airplanes and I have three. I have one radio they have three. When it comes down to it, most of the time they have spent as much as I have.

It all boils down to what you want and what your happy with.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Jealousy and Envy are often masked by "competitive nature and desire". Those "that have" and those "that have not" have been here since the beginning of time. "Flaunt it if you got it" will always leave a bad taste in most peoples mouths but why even let it disturb you??? (Masses). Is it really that hard to humble ones self and be grateful even if you cant afford cheap??? I find there are more who "fly cheap" and CAN afford better but will chastise one who has little but chose to "fly better". I think most of us ( including myself) would go ape chit and by QUADS, HV MEGA, PLUTONIUM RADIOS, GOLD PLATED PERFORMANCE if the opportunity arose.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
We don't have many giant scale flyers at our field. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I'd love to have an airplane like this, they're just too expensive. When I tell them that since I buy used, I have about a grand in what they're looking at they say "Well, that's not bad, but it's still a lot of money. That usually gets me started on the fact that they have a dozen airplanes and I have three. I have one radio they have three. When it comes down to it, most of the time they have spent as much as I have.

It all boils down to what you want and what your happy with.

Well said!

And a lot of those guys that have a dozen small planes also crash them pretty regularly, at least at my club. I could see minimizing the losses of each incident by sticking with small planes. At the same time, bigger really does fly better and maybe some of those crashes are directly attributable to high wing loading and fragile landing gears on small planes. I would also venture to guess that most of them don't have a simulator program to practice flying with a reset button.

There are definitely ways to fly big for cheap (er), and it's not all about the fanciest or most expensive newest gadget. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, great. If you scrimp and scrounge and have gear that will do the job you want but it's old and low tech, great. Get out there and have fun, that's why we do this hobby!

Komet163

50cc
I think it's great if you can afford or want the best, would like to see more american made choices. But there is no reason a guy with min investment can not have the same amount of enjoyment as someone heavily invested. It's the quality of the pilot not the equipment. I do hate to see fanboys say you need to buy this or that with never looking at other alternatives. That is the nice part of rc foroums yes there is Dumb asses on all the foroums but if you take the time to read you find real quick whose opion and advice to listen too

sweetpea

100cc
I actually think prices have settled over the last few years. Yes there are some "new" high dollar items out there but on avg you can get a plane, motor, radio for very decent prices. There are always "new" items that have high prices, that didn't change 30 yrs ago. When you look at kits, the prices have not gone up as much as ARFs have been priced the same. This negates the monetary advantage of a kit that it used to be in years past, especially with 3D folks that crash more often and don't have the skills or time to build (instant gratification generation). When I bought my first Kit back in 2003 it was like 600 for a 35%. My next kit was around $1500 for a 40% in 2009. Kit prices are still at that range and ARFs are only slightly above, but they are covered and painted!